Preoperative preparation of the patient with Graves' disease (GD) is crucial to avoid intraoperative or postoperative complications associated with anesthesia or surgery. We aimed to evaluate thyroid blood flow and microvessel density in patients with GD according to antithyroid drug (ATD) treatment, preoperatively.
Forty-three patients were divided into two groups according to the ATD type. Patients in group 1 (n = 25) were treated with methimazole, whereas patients in group 2 (n = 18) were treated with propylthiouracil, preoperatively. Blood flow through the thyroid arteries was measured by color flow Doppler ultrasonography. The microvessel density (MVD) was assessed immunohistochemically and via Western blot analysis using the level of CD-34expression in thyroid tissue.
There was a positive correlation between blood loss and thyroid volume (rs = 0.953, P = .0001) and blood flow (rs = 0.720, P = .0001) and CD-34 expression (rs = 0.331, P = .03) and MVD (rs = 0.442, P = .003). No correlation was observed between ATD type and thyroid vascularity. In patients with longer treatment duration before operation, thyroid vascularity was significantly lower relative to patients with shorter treatment durations. According to logistic regression analysis, longer treatment duration had a 142-fold decreased rate of intraoperative blood loss independent of ATD type.
Preoperative ATD treatment duration may predict intraoperative blood loss during thyroidectomy. Longer treatment duration might be useful in reducing intraoperative bleeding, allowing better visualization and preservation of the nerves and parathyroid glands.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Graves' disease.N Engl J Med. 1995; 343: 1236-1248
- Hyperthyroidism.Lancet. 2003; 362: 459-468
- A systematic review of drug therapy for Graves' hyperthyroidism.Eur J Endocrinol. 2005; 153: 489-498
- Diagnosis and management of thyrotoxicosis.BMJ. 2006; 332: 1369-1373
- Multivariate analysis of risk factors for postoperative complications in benign goiter surgery: prospective multicenter study in Germany.World J Surg. 2000; 24: 1335-1341
- Predictive factors for recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy and hypoparathyroidism after thyroid surgery.Clin Otolaryngol. 2007; 32: 32-37
- Color Doppler measurement of blood flow in the inferior thyroid artery in patients with autoimmune thyroid diseases.Eur J Radiol. 2000; 36: 5-10
- Appearance of thyroid disease using color coded duplex sonography.Eur J Radiol. 1989; 9: 29-31
- The significance of thyroid blood flow at the inferior thyroid artery as a predictor for early Graves' disease relapse.Clin Endocrinol. 2005; 63: 657-662
- Thyroid vascularity and blood flow are not dependent on serum thyroid hormone levels: studies in vivo by color flow doppler sonography.Eur J Endocrinol. 1999; 140: 452-456
- Diagnostic imaging in thyrotoxicosis.Rays. 1999; 24: 273-300
- Angiogenesis in the thyroid gland.J Endocrinol. 2000; 166: 475-480
- Angiogenesis in endocrine tumors.Endocr Rev. 2003; 24: 600-632
- Reducing inter-observer variation in thyroid volume calculation using a new formula and technique.Eur J Ultrasound. 2003; 16: 207-210
- Assessment of renal resistance index after captopril test by Doppler in essential and renovascular hypertension.Kidney Int. 1995; 48: 1611-1616
- Measurement of protein using bicinchoninic acid.Anal Biochem. 1985; 150: 76-85
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4.Nature. 1970; 227: 680-685
- Effect of Lugol solution on thyroid gland blood flow and microvessel density in the patients with Graves' disease.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 2182-2189
- Doppler evaluation of intrathyroid arterial resistances during preoperative treatment with Lugol's iodide solution in patients with diffuse toxic goiter.J Am Coll Surg. 2000; 191: 607-612
- Duplex scan-derived thyroid blood flow in euthyroid and hyperthyroid patients.World J Surg. 1988; 12: 470-475
- The value of color flow Doppler ultrasonography of the superior thyroid artery in the surgical management of Graves disease.Arch Surg. 2003; 138: 146-151
Published online: December 21, 2007
Accepted: July 26, 2007
© 2008 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.