The physiologic response to surgical trauma promotes sodium and water retention AND weight gain owing to perioperative fluid loading increases morbidity SO perioperative fluid restriction should reduce postoperative complications after gastrointestinal surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Excerpts from the history of postoperative fluid therapy.Am J Surg. 1971; 121: 311-321
- Fluid, electrolytes and nutrition: physiological and clinical aspects.Proc Nutr Soc. 2004; 63: 453-466
- Perioperative fluid management: prospective audit.Int J Clin Pract. 2008; 62: 466-470
- Effect of salt and water balance on recovery of gastrointestinal function after elective colonic resection: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1812-1818
- Fatal postoperative pulmonary edema: pathogenesis and literature review.Chest. 1999; 115: 1371-1377
- Postoperative fluid overload: not a benign problem.Crit Care Med. 1990; 18: 728-733
- Patterns and clinical outcomes associated with routine intravenous sodium and fluid administration after colorectal resection.World J Surg. 2004; 28: 1046-1051
- Effects of intravenous fluid restriction on postoperative complications: comparison of two perioperative fluid regimens: a randomized assessor-blinded multicenter trial.Ann Surg. 2003; 238: 641-648
- Effect of intraoperative fluid management on outcome after intraabdominal surgery.Anesthesiology. 2005; 103: 25-32
- Randomized clinical trial of the effect of postoperative intravenous fluid restriction on recovery after elective colorectal surgery.Br J Surg. 2006; 93: 1469-1474
Accepted: December 20, 2007
S.R.W. receives funding from the Moulton Charitable Foundation.
© 2008 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.