Colorectal carcinoma (CRC) is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. Currently, an estimated 150,000 new cases of CRC and over 50,000 deaths are caused by this disease annually in the United States.
- Jemal A.
- Siegel R.
- Ward E.
- Murray T.
- Xu J.
- Thun M.J.
Cancer statistics, 2007.
CA Cancer J Clin. 2007; 57: 43-66
2Although localized tumor growth may cause significant organ dysfunction and even death, metastases cause most (∼90%) human cancer deaths.
- Jemal A.
- Siegel R.
- Ward E.
- Hao Y.
- Xu J.
- Murray T.
- et al.
Cancer statistics, 2008.
CA Cancer J Clin. 2008; 58: 71-96
3The ability to metastasize is linked with the ability of cancer cells to invade adjacent tissues, gain access to vascular or lymphatic channels, and survive transit through the bloodstream so that they may extravasate, then reside, and finally colonize heterologous organs or tissues. Cancer cells acquire the capacity of invasion and metastasis through regulated processes related to tissue development and homeostasis. Identification of the key regulators of these processes may provide valuable prognostic information to patients with CRC as well as opportunities for enhanced intervention.
- Hanahan D.
- Weinberg R.A.
The hallmarks of cancer.
Cell. 2000; 100: 57-70
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2007.CA Cancer J Clin. 2007; 57: 43-66
- Cancer statistics, 2008.CA Cancer J Clin. 2008; 58: 71-96
- The hallmarks of cancer.Cell. 2000; 100: 57-70
- Self-renewal and cancer of the gut: two sides of a coin.Science. 2005; 307: 1904-1909
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and pathologies.Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2003; 15: 740-746
- TGFbeta1 inhibits the formation of benign skin tumors, but enhances progression to invasive spindle carcinomas in transgenic mice.Cell. 1996; 86: 531-542
- [Genetic changes in liver metastasis of colorectal cancer and their clinical application].Nippon Geka Gakkai Zasshi. 2001; 102: 370-375
- Ras and TGF[beta] cooperatively regulate epithelial cell plasticity and metastasis: dissection of Ras signaling pathways.J Cell Biol. 2002; 156: 299-313
- Mechanisms of TGF-beta signaling from cell membrane to the nucleus.Cell. 2003; 113: 685-700
- Setting a trap for tissue fibrosis.Nat Med. 2005; 11: 373-374
- Role of transforming growth factor-beta signaling in cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000; 92: 1388-1402
- Effects of growth factors on an intestinal epithelial cell line: transforming growth factor beta inhibits proliferation and stimulates differentiation.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1987; 142: 775-782
- Transforming growth factor-beta 1 inhibits cyclin D1 expression in intestinal epithelial cells.Oncogene. 1995; 10: 177-184
- TGF-beta1 effects on proliferation of rat intestinal epithelial cells are due to inhibition of cyclin D1 expression.Oncogene. 1998; 16: 3445-3454
- Regulation of intestinal epithelial cell growth by transforming growth factor type beta.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989; 86: 1578-1582
- Localization of transforming growth factor beta isoforms in the normal murine small intestine and colon.Gastroenterology. 1993; 105: 67-73
- Type II TGF(beta) receptor expression in intestinal cell lines and in the intestinal tract.Carcinogenesis. 1996; 17: 989-995
- Decreased transforming growth factor beta type II receptor expression in intestinal adenomas from Min/+ mice is associated with increased cyclin D1 and cyclin-dependent kinase 4 expression.Cancer Res. 1997; 57: 1638-1643
- Differential sensitivity of human colonic adenoma and carcinoma cells to transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta): conversion of an adenoma cell line to a tumorigenic phenotype is accompanied by a reduced response to the inhibitory effects of TGF-beta.Oncogene. 1991; 6: 1471-1476
- Differential sensitivity of subclasses of human colon carcinoma cell lines to the growth inhibitory effects of transforming growth factor-beta 1.Exp Cell Res. 1989; 181: 442-453
- Transforming growth factor beta: potential autocrine growth inhibitor of estrogen receptor-negative human breast cancer cells.Cancer Res. 1988; 484: 3898-3904
- Absence of TGF-beta receptors and growth inhibitory responses in retinoblastoma cells.Science. 1988; 240: 196-199
- Expression of transforming growth factor beta type II receptor leads to reduced malignancy in human breast cancer MCF-7 cells.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 26449-26455
- Inactivation of the type II TGF-beta receptor in colon cancer cells with microsatellite instability.Science. 1995; 268: 1336-1338
- Mutational inactivation of transforming growth factor beta receptor type II in microsatellite stable colon cancers.Cancer Res. 1999; 59: 320-324
- Microsatellite instability in cancer of the proximal colon.Science. 1993; 260: 816-819
- Tumor microsatellite instability and clinical outcome in young patients with colorectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 69-77
- Abrogation of TGF beta signaling in mammary carcinomas recruits Gr-1+CD11b+ myeloid cells that promote metastasis.Cancer Cell. 2008; 13: 23-35
- Role of transforming growth factor Beta in human cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 2078-2093
- Loss of the Smad3 expression increases susceptibility to tumorigenicity in human gastric cancer.Oncogene. 2004; 23: 1333-1341
- MADR2 maps to 18q21 and encodes a TGFbeta-regulated MAD-related protein that is functionally mutated in colorectal carcinoma.Cell. 1996; 86: 543-552
- Somatic alterations of the DPC4 and Madr2 genes in colorectal cancers and relationship to metastasis.Int J Oncol. 2001; 18: 265-270
- Homozygous deletion map at 18q21.1 in pancreatic cancer.Cancer Res. 1996; 56: 490-494
- Evaluation of candidate tumour suppressor genes on chromosome 18 in colorectal cancers.Nat Genet. 1996; 13: 343-346
- Mad-related genes in the human.Nat Genet. 1996; 13: 347-349
- Frequency of Smad gene mutations in human cancers.Cancer Res. 1997; 57: 2578-2580
- Loss of SMAD4 function in small intestinal adenocarcinomas: comparison of genetic and immunohistochemical findings.Pathol Res Pract. 2004; 200: 1-7
- Loss of Smad4 correlates with loss of the invasion suppressor E-cadherin in advanced colorectal carcinomas.J Pathol. 2004; 202: 412-420
- SMAD4 as a prognostic marker in colorectal cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2005; 11: 2606-2611
- Higher frequency of Smad4 gene mutation in human colorectal cancer with distant metastasis.Oncogene. 1999; 18: 3098-3103
- Loss of Smad4 protein expression and 18qLOH as molecular markers indicating lymph node metastasis in colorectal cancer–a study matched for tumor depth and pathology.J Surg Oncol. 2008; 97: 69-73
- Smad4 signalling in T cells is required for suppression of gastrointestinal cancer.Nature. 2006; 441: 1015-1019
- Bone morphogenetic protein 2 is expressed by, and acts upon, mature epithelial cells in the colon.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126: 111-121
- Germline mutations of the gene encoding bone morphogenetic protein receptor 1A in juvenile polyposis.Nat Genet. 2001; 28: 184-187
- Germline SMAD4 or BMPR1A mutations and phenotype of juvenile polyposis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2002; 9: 901-906
- De novo crypt formation and juvenile polyposis on BMP inhibition in mouse intestine.Science. 2004; 303: 1684-1686
- BMP signaling inhibits intestinal stem cell self-renewal through suppression of Wnt-beta-catenin signaling.Nat Genet. 2004; 36: 1117-1121
- TGF-beta and the Smad signaling pathway support transcriptomic reprogramming during epithelial-mesenchymal cell transition.Mol Biol Cell. 2005; 16: 1987-2002
- BMP-7 counteracts TGF-beta1-induced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and reverses chronic renal injury.Nat Med. 2003; 9: 964-968
- In vivo and in vitro evidence for transforming growth factor-beta1-mediated epithelial to mesenchymal transition in esophageal adenocarcinoma.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 9583-9590
- Id family of helix-loop-helix proteins in cancer.Nat Rev Cancer. 2005; 5: 603-614
- The helix-loop-helix protein Id-2 enhances cell proliferation and binds to the retinoblastoma protein.Genes Dev. 1994; 8: 1270-1284
- Id2 is a retinoblastoma protein target and mediates signalling by Myc oncoproteins.Nature. 2000; 407: 592-598
- Id proteins in development, cell cycle and cancer.Trends Cell Biol. 2003; 13: 410-418
- Id2 and Id3 define the potency of cell proliferation and differentiation responses to transforming growth factor beta and bone morphogenetic protein.Mol Cell Biol. 2004; 24: 4241-4254
- High ID2 protein expression correlates with a favourable prognosis in patients with primary breast cancer and reduces cellular invasiveness of breast cancer cells.Int J Cancer. 2005; 115: 403-411
- Expression of Id helix-loop-helix proteins in colorectal adenocarcinoma correlates with p53 expression and mitotic index.Cancer Res. 2001; 61: 8803-8810
- Epigenetic inactivation of ID4 in colorectal carcinomas correlates with poor differentiation and unfavorable prognosis.Clin Cancer Res. 2004; 10: 7475-7483
- Id2 drives differentiation and suppresses tumor formation in the intestinal epithelium.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 7220-7225
- Wnt signaling: multiple pathways, multiple receptors, and multiple transcription factors.J Biol Chem. 2006; 281: 22429-22433
- Beta-catenin regulates expression of cyclin D1 in colon carcinoma cells.Nature. 1999; 398: 422-426
- Adhesion signaling: how beta-catenin interacts with its partners.Curr Biol. 2001; 11: R792-R794
- Axin, a negative regulator of the Wnt signaling pathway, forms a complex with GSK-3beta and beta-catenin and promotes GSK-3beta-dependent phosphorylation of beta-catenin.EMBO J. 1998; 17: 1371-1384
- Axin, a negative regulator of the wnt signaling pathway, directly interacts with adenomatous polyposis coli and regulates the stabilization of beta-catenin.J Biol Chem. 1998; 273: 10823-10826
- A ubiquitin ligase complex essential for the NF-kappaB, Wnt/Wingless, and Hedgehog signaling pathways.Genes Dev. 1999; 13: 505-510
- beta-catenin is a target for the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway.EMBO J. 1997; 16: 3797-3804
- The role of the cell-adhesion molecule E-cadherin as a tumour-suppressor gene.Trends Biochem Sci. 1999; 24: 73-76
- Convergence of Wnt, beta-catenin, and cadherin pathways.Science. 2004; 303: 1483-1487
- Smad4 regulates claudin-1 expression in a transforming growth factor-beta-independent manner in colon cancer cells.Cancer Res. 2007; 67: 1571-1579
- The SLUG zinc-finger protein represses E-cadherin in breast cancer.Cancer Res. 2002; 62: 1613-1618
- Clinical significance of E-cadherin-catenin complex expression in metastatic foci of colorectal carcinoma.J Surg Oncol. 2001; 77: 201-207
- Reduced expression of the cadherin-catenin complex in oesophageal adenocarcinoma correlates with poor prognosis.J Pathol. 1997; 182: 331-338
- Decreased E-cadherin expression is associated with haematogenous recurrence and poor prognosis in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus.Br J Surg. 1996; 83: 1608-1614
- E-cadherin gene mutations in human gastric carcinoma cell lines.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994; 91: 1858-1862
- Loss of membranous E-cadherin expression in pancreatic cancer: correlation with lymph node metastasis, high grade, and advanced stage.J Pathol. 1994; 174: 243-248
- Genetic manipulation of E-cadherin expression by epithelial tumor cells reveals an invasion suppressor role.Cell. 1991; 66: 107-119
- Reduced E-cadherin expression and enlargement of cancer nuclei strongly correlate with hematogenic metastasis in colorectal adenocarcinoma.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2000; 35: 839-846
- Clinical significance of S100A4 and E-cadherin-related adhesion molecules in non-small cell lung cancer.Int J Oncol. 2000; 16: 1125-1131
- E-cadherin expression in the primary tumors and metastatic lymph nodes of poorly differentiated types of rectal cancer.Surg Today. 2002; 32: 123-128
- Poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma and mucinous carcinoma of the colon and rectum show higher rates of loss of heterozygosity and loss of E-cadherin expression due to methylation of promoter region.Int J Cancer. 2002; 102: 225-229
- Variable beta-catenin expression in colorectal cancers indicates tumor progression driven by the tumor environment.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98: 10356-10361
- E-cadherin germline mutations in familial gastric cancer.Nature. 1998; 392: 402-405
- E-cadherin germline mutations define an inherited cancer syndrome dominated by diffuse gastric cancer.Hum Mutat. 1999; 14: 249-255
- Early gastric cancer in young, asymptomatic carriers of germ-line E-cadherin mutations.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1904-1909
- Inactivation of the E-cadherin gene in primary gastric carcinomas and gastric carcinoma cell lines.Jpn J Cancer Res. 1996; 87: 1153-1159
- E-cadherin gene mutations provide clues to diffuse type gastric carcinomas.Cancer Res. 1994; 54: 3845-3852
- E-cadherin gene mutations in signet ring cell carcinoma of the stomach.Jpn J Cancer Res. 1996; 87: 843-848
- E-cadherin is a tumour/invasion suppressor gene mutated in human lobular breast cancers.EMBO J. 1995; 14: 6107-6115
- E-cadherin is inactivated in a majority of invasive human lobular breast cancers by truncation mutations throughout its extracellular domain.Oncogene. 1996; 13: 1919-1925
- Mutations of the E-cadherin gene in human gynecologic cancers.Nat Genet. 1994; 7: 98-102
- The role of the E-cadherin/catenin adhesion complex in the development and progression of cancer.Mol Cell Biol Res Commun. 1999; 2: 77-85
- A novel role for p120 catenin in E-cadherin function.J Cell Biol. 2002; 159: 465-476
- A core function for p120-catenin in cadherin turnover.J Cell Biol. 2003; 163: 525-534
- New mode of DNA binding of multi-zinc finger transcription factors: deltaEF1 family members bind with two hands to two target sites.EMBO J. 1999; 18: 5073-5084
- CtBP, an unconventional transcriptional corepressor in development and oncogenesis.Mol Cell. 2002; 9: 213-224
- Xenopus Id3 is required downstream of Myc for the formation of multipotent neural crest progenitor cells.Development. 2005; 132: 1831-1841
- Tumor metastasis: a new twist on epithelial-mesenchymal transitions.Curr Biol. 2004; 14: R719-R721
- A new role for E12/E47 in the repression of E-cadherin expression and epithelial-mesenchymal transitions.J Biol Chem. 2001; 276: 27424-27431
- Twist, a master regulator of morphogenesis, plays an essential role in tumor metastasis.Cell. 2004; 117: 927-939
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions: twist in development and metastasis.Cell. 2004; 118: 277-279
- Altered localization of p120 catenin during epithelial to mesenchymal transition of colon carcinoma is prognostic for aggressive disease.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 10938-10945
- E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion prevents invasiveness of human carcinoma cells.J Cell Biol. 1991; 113: 173-185
- E-cadherin expression in human breast cancer cells suppresses the development of osteolytic bone metastases in an experimental metastasis model.Cancer Res. 1996; 56: 4063-4070
- E-cadherin is regulated by the transcriptional repressor SLUG during Ras-mediated transformation of intestinal epithelial cells.Surgery. 2005; 138: 306-312
- Epigenetic therapy of cancer: past, present and future.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2006; 5: 37-50
- Gene expression profiling in response to the histone deacetylase inhibitor BL1521 in neuroblastoma.Exp Cell Res. 2005; 309: 451-467
- Identification of novel isoform-selective inhibitors within class I histone deacetylases.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003; 307: 720-728
- The human histone deacetylase family.Exp Cell Res. 2001; 262: 75-83
- Enzymatic activity associated with class II HDACs is dependent on a multiprotein complex containing HDAC3 and SMRT/N-CoR.Mol Cell. 2002; 9: 45-57
- Biological roles and mechanistic actions of co-repressor complexes.J Cell Sci. 2002; 115: 689-698
- WNT7a induces E-cadherin in lung cancer cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 10429-10434
- Restoring E-cadherin expression increases sensitivity to epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors in lung cancer cell lines.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 944-950
- A transient, EMT-linked loss of basement membranes indicates metastasis and poor survival in colorectal cancer.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 830-840
- Redox sensor CtBP mediates hypoxia-induced tumor cell migration.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006; 103: 9029-9033
- Comparison of metabolic pathways between cancer cells and stromal cells in colorectal carcinomas: a metabolic survival role for tumor-associated stroma.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 632-637
- Endogenous markers of hypoxia/anaerobic metabolism and anemia in primary colorectal cancer.Cancer Sci. 2006; 97: 582-588
- Lactate dehydrogenase 5 expression in operable colorectal cancer: strong association with survival and activated vascular endothelial growth factor pathway—a report of the Tumour Angiogenesis Research Group.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 4301-4308
- Proliferating fibroblasts at the invading tumour edge of colorectal adenocarcinomas are associated with endogenous markers of hypoxia, acidity, and oxidative stress.J Clin Pathol. 2005; 58: 1033-1038
- Claudin-based tight junctions are crucial for the mammalian epidermal barrier: a lesson from claudin-1-deficient mice.J Cell Biol. 2002; 156: 1099-1111
- huASH1 protein, a putative transcription factor encoded by a human homologue of the Drosophila ash1 gene, localizes to both nuclei and cell-cell tight junctions.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000; 97: 7284-7289
- The ZO-1-associated Y-box factor ZONAB regulates epithelial cell proliferation and cell density.J Cell Biol. 2003; 160: 423-432
- Claudin multigene family encoding four-transmembrane domain protein components of tight junction strands.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999; 96: 511-516
- Direct binding of three tight junction-associated MAGUKs, ZO-1, ZO-2, and ZO-3, with the COOH termini of claudins.J Cell Biol. 1999; 147: 1351-1363
- Epidermal growth factor receptor activation differentially regulates claudin expression and enhances transepithelial resistance in Madin-Darby canine kidney cells.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 3543-3552
- Transforming growth factor-beta and epidermal growth factor synergistically stimulate epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) through a MEK-dependent mechanism in primary cultured pig thyrocytes.J Cell Sci. 2002; 115: 4227-4236
- Claudin promotes activation of pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 mediated by membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases.J Biol Chem. 2001; 276: 28204-28211
- Claudin-1 regulates cellular transformation and metastatic behavior in colon cancer.J Clin Invest. 2005; 115: 1765-1776
- Validation of a model of colon cancer progression.J Pathol. 2000; 192: 446-454
- Involvement of claudin-1 in the beta-catenin/Tcf signaling pathway and its frequent upregulation in human colorectal cancers.Oncol Res. 2001; 12: 469-476
- DPC4/SMAD4 mediated tumor suppression of colon carcinoma cells is associated with reduced urokinase expression.Oncogene. 1999; 18: 3152-3158
- Smad4 induces the tumor suppressor E-cadherin and P-cadherin in colon carcinoma cells.Oncogene. 2002; 21: 6049-6058
Published online: July 28, 2008
Accepted: May 8, 2008
Supported by grants CA69457, DK52334, CA084239, DK07673, CA106183, CA95103, CA068485, CA46413, and CA77839 from the National Institutes of Health.
© 2008 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.