- Will the last physician in America please turn off the lights.Practice Support Resources, Independence (MO)2004
- Physician workforce policy guidelines for the U.S. for 2000–2020.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville (MD)2005
- There's a shortage of specialists: is anyone listening?.Acad Med. 2002; 77: 761-766
- USA in 2050: population projected over five decades.USA Today. March 18, 2004;
- The Simon Dack lecture. Cardiology: the past, the present, and the future.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003; 42: 2031-2041
- Educational programs in US medical schools, 2002-2003.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1190-1196
- Calculating the general surgery workforce.JAMA. 1995; 274: 730-735
Kwakwa F, Jonasson O. Advisory Council for General Surgery. The general surgery workforce. American College of Surgeons Web site. Available at: http://www.facs.org/about/councils/advgen/gstitlpg.html. Accessed January 29, 2008.
- Analyzing cause and effect in the United States physician workforce.Health Aff. 2002; 21: 165-166
- Economic and demographic trends signal an impending physician shortage.Health Aff. 2002; 21: 140-154
- Weighing the evidence for expanding physician supply.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 705-714
- Consumer driven health care.Book Publishing Associates, Mansfield (OH)2005
- The aging population and its impact on the surgery workforce.Ann Surg. 2003; 238: 170-176
- Supply and demand–surgical and health workforce.Surg Clin North Am. 2004; 84: 1493-1509
- Surgical workforce since the 1975 study of surgical services in the United States: an update.Ann Surg. 2007; 246: 541-545
- Demands on surgeon workforce to grow rapidly through 2020.Healthcare Leadership Review. November 2003;
- Workforce issues in general surgery.Am Surg. 2007; 73: 100-108
- The impending disappearance of the general surgeon.JAMA. 2007; 298: 2191-2193
- It's time to address the problem of physician shortages: graduate medical education is the key.Ann Surg. 2007; 246: 527-534
American Medical Association Web site. Medical Student Section (MSS). Medical student debt. Available from:http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/5349.html. Accessed January 28, 2008.
Fuchs E. With debt on the rise, students and schools face an uphill battle. AAMC Reporter [serial online] 2008 Jan. Association of American Medical Colleges Web site. Available from: http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/jan08/debt.htm. Accessed January 28, 2008.
Association of American Medical Colleges. Medical school tuition and young physician indebtedness. (An update to the 2004 report). 2007 Oct. Association of American Medical Colleges Web site. Available from: https://services.aamc.org/Publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.displayForm&prd_id=212&cfid=1&cftoken=4C91EBA9-3A19-442F-A663C4C0C307F911. Accessed on January 20, 2008
- House bill aims to keep doctors from leaving Pa.Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. June 5, 2007;
- Brief intervention by surgeons can influence students toward a career in surgery.J Surg Research. 2003; 111: 166-169
- Career satisfaction of US women physicians: results from the Women Physicians' Health Study. Society of General Internal Medicine Career Satisfaction Study Group.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 1417-1426
- Childbearing and child care in surgery.Arch Surg. 2001; 136: 649-655
- Influence of controllable lifestyle on recent trends in specialty choice by US medical students.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1173-1178
Weiss GG. Productivity takes a dip: many specialties report working fewer hours and seeing fewer patients than they did in 2000. Medical Economics [serial online] 18 Nov 2005. Available from: http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0198-283235_ITM86-94. Accessed on January 20, 2008.
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Web site. Residency program: benefits. Available from: http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept47667/files/54241.html. Accessed on January 17, 2008.
FindLaw's Infirmation Web site. Sullivan & Cromwell. Available from: http://www.infirmation.com/shared/lss/one-payscale.tcl?employer_id=NY3240. Accessed on January 16, 2008.
- The health workforce: a position statement.Ann Surg. 2007; 246: 525-526
Supported in part by a grant for the artwork from the Columbus Medical Association Foundation.