We report 4 adult cases of mesenteroaxial gastric volvulus after living donor liver transplantation (LDLT).
All 4 recipients were female with a median age of 31 years (range, 21–69). All had undergone right lobe LDLT. Gastric volvulus developed on postoperative days (POD) 4–30, and all were successfully treated with an endoscopic correction procedure. Two of 4 needed a repeated correction procedure and 1 needed a surgical revision for the recurrent volvulus.
Although this type of the complication is unusual, earlier post-transplant endoscopic intervention is useful to reverse the pyloroantral obstruction. These cases let us recognize that gastric volvulus is one of the complications after right lobe LDLT.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Volvulus of the stomach. A review with a report of 8 cases.Br J Surg. 1971; 58: 557-562
- Changing patterns in the management of gastric volvulus over 14 years.Br J Surg. 2000; 87: 358-361
- Zur pathologie und Therapie des Mange-volvulus.Arcb Klin Chir. 1904; 74: 243-260
- Acute gastric volvulus. A study of 25 cases.Am J Surg. 1980; 140: 99-106
- Acute gastric volvulus: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment.Am J Gastroenterol. 1993; 88: 1780-1784
- Surgical techniques and innovations in living related liver transplantation.Ann Surg. 1993; 217: 82-91
- Fibrin sealant inhibits connective tissue deposition in a murine model of peritoneal adhesion formation.Surgery. 1999; 125: 53-59
- Efficacy and safety of Seprafilm for preventing postoperative abdominal adhesion: systematic review and meta-analysis.World J Surg. 2007; 31: 2125-2131
- Gastric volvulus in living, related liver transplantation donors and usefulness of endoscopic correction.Gastrointest Endosc. 2002; 55: 55-57
- Studies of intestinal healing. IV. Prevention of adhesions following inverting and everting bowel anastomoses with promethazine and dexamethasone.Arch Surg. 1969; 98: 764-765
- Dexamethasone down-regulates endothelial expression of intercellular adhesion molecule and impairs the healing of bowel anastomoses.Eur J Surg. 2002; 168: 500-506
- Comparative analysis of postoperative morbidity according to type and extent of hepatectomy.Hepatogastroenterology. 2005; 52: 844-848
- Laparoscopic reduction of acute gastric volvulus.Am Surg. 1993; 59: 325-328
Published online: September 23, 2009
Accepted: July 7, 2009
© 2010 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.