Recently, robotic technology in the surgical area has gained wide popularity. However, in the filed of head and neck surgery, the applications of robotic instruments are problematic owing to spatial and technical limitations. The authors performed robot-assisted endoscopic thyroid operations in consecutive thyroid tumor patients using the newly introduced da Vinci S surgical system. Herein the authors describe the technique used and its utility for the operative management of thyroid tumors.
From October 2007 to November 2008, 338 patients underwent robot-assisted endoscopic thyroid operations using a gasless, transaxillary approach. All procedures were successfully completed without conversion to an open procedure. Patient's clinicopathologic characteristics, operation types, operation times, the learning curve, and postoperative hospital stays and complications were evaluated.
The mean patient age was 40 years (range, 16–69) and the male to female ratio was 1:16.8. Two hundred and thirty-four patients underwent less than total and 104 underwent bilateral total thyroidectomy. Ipsilateral central compartment node dissection was conducted in all malignant cases. Mean operation time was 144.0 minutes (range, 69–347) and mean postoperative hospital stay was 3.3 days (range, 2–7). No serious postoperative complication occurred; there were 3 cases of recurrent laryngeal nerve injury and 1 of Horner's syndrome.
Our technique of robotic thyroid surgery using a gasless, transaxillary approach is feasible and safe in selected patients with a benign or malignant thyroid tumor.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Telerobotic gastrointestinal surgery: phase 2—safety and efficacy.Surg Endosc. 2007; 21: 1054-1062
- Pilot series of robot-assisted laparoscopic subtotal gastrectomy with extended lymphadenectomy for gastric cancer.Surg Endosc. 2007; 21: 1662-1666
- Robot-assisted abdominal surgery.Br J Surg. 2004; 91: 1390-1397
- Application of robotic-assisted techniques to the surgical evaluation and treatment of the anterior mediastinum.Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 79: 450-455
- A prospective comparison of robotic and laparoscopic pyeloplasty.Ann Surg. 2006; 243: 486-491
- The role of robotic surgery in morbid obesity.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2003; 13: 279-283
- Robotic-assisted laparoscopic donor nephrectomy for kidney transplantation.Transplantation. 2002; 73: 1474-1479
- Endoscopic subtotal parathyroidectomy in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism.Br J Surg. 1996; 83: 875
- Video-assisted neck surgery: endoscopic resection of thyroid tumors with a very minimal neck wound.J Am Coll Surg. 1999; 188: 697-703
- Scarless endoscopic thyroidectomy: breast approach for better cosmesis.Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2000; 10: 1-4
- Endoscopic neck surgery by the axillary approach.J Am Coll Surg. 2000; 191: 336-340
- Minimally invasive video-assisted surgery of the thyroid: a preliminary report.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2000; 385: 261-264
- Endoscopic thyroidectomy for solitary thyroid nodules.Thyroid. 2001; 11: 161-163
- Feasibility of robotic laparoscopic surgery: 146 cases.World J Surg. 2001; 25: 1467-1477
- Evaluation of telesurgical (robotic) NISSEN fundoplication.Surg Endosc. 2001; 15: 918-923
- Novel uses of surgical robotics in head and neck surgery.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2005; 15: 647-652
- Bilateral transaxillary endoscopic total thyroidectomy.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 299-303
- Gasless endoscopic thyroidectomy via an axillary approach: experience of 30 cases.Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2006; 16: 226-231
- Gasless endoscopic thyroidectomy using trans-axillary approach; surgical outcome of 581 patients.Endocr J. 2009; 56: 361-369
- Robot-assisted endoscopic surgery for thyroid cancer: experience with the first 100 patients.Surg Endosc. 2009 Mar 5; ([Epub ahead of print])
- The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Taskforce. Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2006; 16: 109-142
- Time series: a biostatistical introduction.Oxford University Press, London1990
- Prospective comparison of open vs. laparoscopic colon surgery for carcinoma: five-year results.Dis Colon Rectum. 1966; 398: 35-46
- Postoperative immune function varies inversely with the degree of surgical trauma in a murine model.Surg Endosc. 1997; 11: 427-430
- A comparison of laparoscopically assisted and open colectomy for colon cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 2050-2059
Published online: November 02, 2009
Accepted: September 17, 2009
© 2009 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.