Despite their safety and effectiveness in thyroid surgery, the previous harmonic scalpel instruments are considered large and cumbersome by several surgeons. An innovative technical improvement of the device has been made available since 2008. The objective of this study was to compare the results of total thyroidectomy using the new harmonic scalpel (FOCUS) with that with the previously available device (HARMONIC ACE).
A prospective randomized study of all total thyroidectomies between February and July 2008 was conducted. Patients (n = 90) were randomized to undergo total thyroidectomy with FOCUS (group A, n = 45) or HARMONIC ACE (group B, n = 45).
No significant differences were identified between the 2 groups in terms of demographics, reoperative thyroid surgery, thyroid gland weight and diameter, pathologic diagnosis, preoperative and postoperative serum PTH and calcium levels, postoperative complications, duration of hospital stay, and final outcome. The mean operative time was less in group A than group B (63 ± 7 min vs 76 ± 8 min, P = .009).
The new harmonic scalpel is a useful adjunct to the armamentarium of the thyroid surgeon. It is safe, effective, and hand friendly, offering great capabilities for delicate tissue grasping and dissection. Use of this device decreased operative time compared with the previously available instrument.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Total thyroidectomy: the treatment of choice for patients with differentiated thyroid cancer.Ann Surg. 1982; 196: 361-370
- An update on thyroid surgery.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2002; 29: S447-S452
- Comparison of different thyroidectomy techniques for benign thyroid disease.Endocr J. 2003; 50: 723-727
- Surgeon’s approach to the thyroid gland: surgical anatomy and the importance of technique.World J Surg. 2000; 24: 891-897
- Complications of thyroid and parathyroid surgery.Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2003; 36: 189-206
- Complications of thyroid surgery: how to avoid them, how to manage them, and observations on their possible effect on the whole patient.World J Surg. 2000; 24: 971-975
- Reexploration for symptomatic hematomas after cervical exploration.Surgery. 2001; 130: 914-920
- Adverse reaction to surgical sutures in thyroid surgery.Head Neck. 2003; 25: 77-81
- Evaluation of a vessel sealing system, bipolar electrosurgery, harmonic scalpel, titanium clips, endoscopic gastrointestinal anastomosis vascular staples and sutures for arterial and venous ligation in a porcine model.J Urol. 2003; 169: 697-700
- Comparison of experimental nerve injury caused by ultrasonically activated scalpel and electrosurgery.Br J Surg. 2005; 92: 772-777
- Comparison of monopolar electrocoagulation, bipolar electrocoagulation, Ultracision, and Ligasure.Surg Today. 2006; 36: 908-913
- Energy sources for laparoscopic colectomy: a prospective randomized comparison of conventional electrosurgery, bipolar computer-controlled electrosurgery and ultrasonic dissection. Operative outcome and costs analysis.Surg Innov. 2005; 12: 339-344
- Use of the Harmonic Scalpel in open abdominoperineal surgery for rectal carcinoma.Dis Colon Rectum. 1999; 42: 540-542
- Thyroid surgery: comparison between the electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system, harmonic scalpel, and classic suture ligation.Am J Surg. 2008; 195: 48-52
- Novel hemostatic devices in thyroid surgery: electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system and harmonic scalpel.Expert Rev Med Devices. 2008; 5: 447-466
- A randomized, prospective, parallel group study comparing the Harmonic Scalpel to electrocautery in thyroidectomy.Surgery. 2005; 137: 337-341
- Evaluation of the Ultracision ultrasonic dissector in thyroid surgery. Prospective randomized study.Ann Chir. 2000; 125: 468-472
- Evaluation of the ultrasonic dissector in thyroid surgery. A prospective randomised study.Acta Chir Belg. 2003; 103: 274-277
- Thoracoscopic limited pericardial resection with an ultrasonic scalpel.Ann Thorac Surg. 1998; 65: 855-856
- Videoscopic supradiaphragmatic thoracic duct division using ultrasonic coagulator.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2002; 22: 828-830
- Laparoscopic radical cystoprostatectomy: a technique illustrated step by step.Eur Urol. 2003; 44: 132-138
- Comparison of the use of electrothermal bipolar vessel sealer with harmonic scalpel in total laparoscopic hysterectomy.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2007; 33: 341-345
- Modified radical mastectomy using harmonic scalpel.J Surg Oncol. 2000; 74: 204-207
- Ultrasonically activated shears in thyroidectomies: a randomized trial.Ann Surg. 2000; 231: 322-328
- Thyroidectomy using the harmonic scalpel: analysis of 105 consecutive cases.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002; 127: 284-288
- The use of the harmonic scalpel vs conventional knot tying for vessel ligation in thyroid surgery.Arch Surg. 2002; 137: 137-142
- Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of the UltraCision harmonic scalpel in thyroid surgery: an analysis of 200 cases in a randomized trial.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2004; 14: 9-12
- Prospective, case-control study of surgical efficiency of ultrasonic shear (“harmonic scalpel”) thyroidectomy compared with conventional thyroidectomy.J Laryngol Otol. 2008; 122: 1194-1196
- Ultrasonically activated scalpel for subtotal thyroidectomy in Graves’ disease.Am J Surg. 1999; 178: 433-434
- Ultrasonically activated shears in thyroid surgery.Am J Surg. 1998; 175: 491-493
- Comparison of ultrasonic energy, bipolar thermal energy, and vascular clips for the hemostasis of small-, medium-, and large-sized arteries.Surg Endosc. 2003; 17: 1228-1230
- Comparison of thermal spread after ureteral ligation with the Laparo-Sonic ultrasonic shears and the Ligasure system.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2002; 12: 61-63
- The ultrasonic coagulating and cutting system injures nerve function.Endoscopy. 2002; 34: 575-579
- How safe is high-power ultrasonic dissection?.Ann Surg. 2003; 237: 186-191
Published online: September 20, 2010
Accepted: August 5, 2010
© 2011 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.