Background and Purpose
Preoperative T staging demands high accuracy, because it greatly influences subsequent therapies in advanced gastric cancer.
Patients and Methods
616 patients with gastric cancer underwent multi-detector row computed tomography (MDCT) before operation. The results were compared with operative and pathologic findings. Especially, we evaluated the correlations among the diagnostic accuracy of T staging and various clinicopathologic parameters by focusing on 276 patients who had detectable lesions by MDCT.
The overall diagnostic accuracy of preoperative T staging by MDCT was 90.9% (560/616). For each pathologic T stage, the accuracy was 95% for pT1, 76% for pT2-3, 92% for pT4a, and 75% for pT4b, respectively. Among the 276 patients, 239 (87%) were correctly staged by MDCT whereas 29 (11%) and 8 (3%) were over- or under-staged, respectively. Antral tumors (P = .045), and Borrmann type 1 tumors (P = .0001) were incorrectly T staged by MDCT, whereas differentiated type tumors tended to be over-staged. All patients with positive cytology (n = 12 cases) and peritoneal metastasis (n = 7 cases) diagnosed at laparotomy had been diagnosed as T4a or deeper by MDCT. The 5-year overall survival rates classified by preoperative T staging by MDCT (T1/T2-3/T4a/T4b) were 100%, 89%, 59%, and 31%, respectively, whereas those for each pT stage were 100%, 84%, 59%, and 19%.
Preoperative T staging of gastric cancer by MDCT is highly accurate and could contribute to treatment strategies, particularly in advanced disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- International variation.Oncogene. 2004; 23: 6329-6340
- The role of lymph node surgery in gastric cancer.World J Surg. 1987; 11: 406-411
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with cisplatin, 5-FU, and leucovorin (PLF) in locally advanced gastric cancer: a prospective phase II study.Gastric Cancer. 2003; 6: 159-167
- Phase II study of neoadjuvant chemotherapy and extended surgery for locally advanced gastric cancer.Br J Surg. 2009; 96: 1015-1022
- The new credo: induction chemotherapy in locally advanced gastric cancer: consequences for surgical strategies.Gastric Cancer. 2008; 11: 1-9
- Role of the double-contrast upper gastrointestinal series in the 1990s.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 1995; 24: 289-308
- Imaging in local staging of gastric cancer: a systematic review.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 2107-2116
- T staging of gastric cancer: role of multi-detector row CT.Radiology. 2005; 237: 961-966
- Staging of T3 and T4 gastric carcinoma with multidetector CT: added value of multiplanar reformations for prediction of adjacent organ invasion.Radiology. 2009; 250: 767-775
- Gastric cancer: preoperative local staging with 3D multi-detector row CT–correlation with surgical and histopathologic results.Radiology. 2007; 242: 472-482
- Diagnosis of gastric cancer with MDCT using the water-filling method and multiplanar reconstruction: CT-histologic correlation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 185: 1152-1158
Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese Classification of Gastric Carcinoma. 14th ed. Kanehara, Tokyo.
- Sobin L.H. Wittekind C. TNM classification of malignant tumours. 7th ed. International Union Against Cancer (UICC). Wiley, New York2009
- Helical CT imaging of gastric cancer: normal wall appearance and the potential for staging.Radiat Med. 2000; 18: 47-54
- Gastric tumors: radiologic-pathologic correlation and accuracy of T staging with dynamic CT.Radiology. 1992; 185: 173-178
- 64 multidetector-row computed tomography for preoperative evaluation of gastric cancer: histological correlation.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2007; 31: 98-103
- Preoperative staging of gastric adenocarcinoma: comparison of helical CT and endoscopic US.Radiology. 2004; 230: 465-471
- Comparison of computed tomography, endosonography, and intraoperative assessment in TN staging of gastric carcinoma.Gut. 1993; 34: 604-610
- Preoperative assessment of gastric carcinoma: value of two-phase dynamic CT with mechanical iv. injection of contrast material.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1994; 163: 69-75
- Hydro-dynamic CT preoperative staging of gastric cancer: correlation with pathological findings. A prospective study of 107 cases.Eur Radiol. 2000; 10: 1877-1885
- Efficacy of helical CT in T-staging of gastric cancer.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1997; 21: 73-81
- Local invasion of gastric cancer: CT findings and pathologic correlation using 5-mm incremental scanning, hypotonia, and water filling.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1999; 172: 383-388
- Dual-phase 3D CT angiography during a single breath-hold using 16-MDCT: assessment of vascular anatomy before laparoscopic gastrectomy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006; 186: 1079-1085
- Commonly used imaging techniques for diagnosis and staging.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 3234-3244
Romano S, Romano L. Utilization patterns of multidetector computed tomography in elective and emergency conditions: indications, exposure risk, and diagnostic gain. Semin Ultrasound CT MR;31:53-56.
- Patient dose estimation for multi-detector-row CT examinations.Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2008; 128: 98-105
- Value of multidetector-row computed tomography in the preoperative T and N staging of gastric carcinoma: a large-scale Chinese study.J Surg Oncol. 2009; 100: 205-214
- Preoperative T staging of gastric carcinoma obtained by MDCT vessel probe reconstructions and correlations with histological findings.Eur Radiol. 2010; 20: 138-145
- Gastric cancer staging at isotropic MDCT including coronal and sagittal MPR images: endoscopically diagnosed early vs. advanced gastric cancer.Abdom Imaging. 2009; 34: 26-34
- Gastric cancer staging at multi-detector row CT gastrography: comparison of transverse and volumetric CT scanning.Radiology. 2005; 236: 879-885
- Investigation of the association between CT detection of early gastric cancer and ultimate histology.Clin Radiol. 2008; 63: 1236-1244
- Diagnostic ability of high-frequency ultrasound probe sonography in staging early gastric cancer, especially for submucosal invasion.Abdom Imaging. 2005; 30: 518-523
- Preoperative diagnosis of gastric tumors by three-dimensional multidetector row ct and double contrast barium meal study: correlation with surgical and histologic results.J Formos Med Assoc. 2007; 106: 943-952
- Staging of gastric cancer with 16-channel MDCT.Abdom Imaging. 2006; 31: 514-520
- Gastric cancer by multidetector row CT: preoperative staging.Abdom Imaging. 2005; 30: 465-472
- Diagnostic accuracy of T and N stages with endoscopy, stomach protocol CT, and endoscopic ultrasonography in early gastric cancer.J Surg Oncol. 2009; 99: 20-27
- Usefulness of three-dimensional, multidetector row CT (virtual gastroscopy and multiplanar reconstruction) in the evaluation of gastric cancer: a comparison with conventional endoscopy, EUS, and histopathology.Gastrointest Endosc. 2004; 59: 619-626
- Usefulness of CT volumetry for primary gastric lesions in predicting pathologic response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer.Abdom Imaging. 2009; 34: 430-440
Published online: February 11, 2011
Accepted: December 7, 2010
© 2011 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.