Brief preoperative dietary interventions emphasizing reduced calorie and protein intake will decrease perioperative morbidity and mortality associated with vascular operative procedures by modulating maladaptive response to operative stress.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ACC/AHA 2007 guidelines on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and care for noncardiac surgery: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2002 Guidelines on Perioperative Cardiovascular Evaluation for Noncardiac Surgery): developed in collaboration with the American Society of Echocardiography, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, Heart Rhythm Society, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology, and Society for Vascular Surgery.Circulation. 2007; 116: 1971-1996
- Trends in hospital volume and operative mortality for high-risk surgery.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2128-2137
- The experts debate: perioperative beta-blockade for noncardiac surgery–proven safe or not?.Cleve Clin J Med. 2009; 76: S84-S92
- Fluvastatin and perioperative events in patients undergoing vascular surgery.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 980-989
- Subfield history: caloric restriction, slowing aging, and extending life.Sci Aging Knowledge Environ. 2003; 8: RE2
- Nitric oxide and mitochondrial biogenesis.J Cell Sci. 2006; 119: 2855-2862
- Short-term dietary restriction and fasting precondition against ischemia reperfusion injury in mice.Aging Cell. 2010; 9: 40-53
- Toward a unified theory of caloric restriction and longevity regulation.Mech Ageing Dev. 2005; 126: 987-1002
- The CALERIE Study: design and methods of an innovative 25% caloric restriction intervention.Contemp Clin Trials. 2011; 32: 874-881
- Preoperative very low-calorie diet and operative outcome after laparoscopic gastric bypass: a randomized multicenter study.Arch Surg. 2011; 146: 1300-1305
- Surgical stress resistance induced by single amino acid deprivation requires Gcn2 in mice.Sci Transl Med. 2012; 4: 118ra11
- Glucose supplementation does not interfere with fasting-induced protection against renal ischemia/reperfusion injury in mice.Transplantation. 2011; 92: 752-758
Published online: December 06, 2012
Accepted: September 6, 2012
© 2013 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.