Our hypothesis, ALPHA (Acidic Lactate sequentially induced Lymphogenesis, PHlebogenesis, and Arteriogenesis) proposes that lactate triggers vasculogenesis to manage lactate levels and complements the traditional vasculogenesis hypothesis. The teleologic basis for glycolytic vasculogenesis is primariy to produce drainage vessels, initially lymphatics but subsequently veins.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acid-mediated tumor invasion: a multidisciplinary study.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 5216-5223
- Glycolytic metabolism and tumour response to fractionated irradiation.Radiother Oncol. 2010; 94: 102-109
- Lactate promores glioma migration by TGF-β2-dependent regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-2.Neuro-oncology. 2009; 11: 368-380
- Aerobically derived lactate stimulates revascularization and tissue repair via redox mechanisms.Antioxid Redox Signal. 2007; 9: 115-124
- Lactate stimulates vascuologenic stem cells via the thioredoxin system and engages in an autocrine activation loop involving hypoxia-inducible factor 1.Mol Cell Biol. 2008; 28: 6248-6261
- Acidosis inhibits endothelial cell apoptosis and function and induces basic fibroblast growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor expression.Circ Res. 2000; 86: 312
- Lactate influx through the endothelial cell monocarboxylate transporter MCT1 supports an NF-κB/IL-8 pathway that drives tumor angiogenesis.Cancer Res. 2011; 71: 2550-2560
- Understanding the Warburg effect: the metabolic requirements of cell proliferation.Science. 2009; 324: 1029
- Effects of ammonium and lactate on growth and metabolism of a recombinant Chinese hamster ovary cell culture.Biotechnol Prog. 2008; 13: 688-691
- Dose-dependent response of FGF-2 for lymphangiogenesis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101: 11658-11663
- Distinctive features of angiogenesis and lyphangiogenesis determine their functionality during de novo tumor development.Cancer Res. 2007; 67: 5211-5220
- Interruption of tumor dormancy by a transient angiogenic burst within the tumor microenvironment.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2006; 103: 4216-4221
Published online: July 15, 2013
Accepted: March 20, 2013
© 2013 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.