I wonder if there might be a mistake regarding the number of survivors in the article by Dr Ferrone et al concerning pancreatic resection.
1Their paper covers the years 1985 to 2010 at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), and they claim an actual 19% survival rate, or 95 survivors of 499 resected patients, but show a Kaplan-Meier actuarial curve of 19% at 5 years.
- Ferrone C.R.
- Pieretti-Vanmarcke R.
- Bloom J.P.
- Zheng H.
- Szymonifka J.
- Wargo J.A.
- et al.
Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: long-term survival does not equal cure.
Surgery. 2012; 152: S43-S49
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: long-term survival does not equal cure.Surgery. 2012; 152: S43-S49
- Resection margins in carcinoma of the head of the pancreas; implications for radiation therapy.Ann Surg. 1993; 217: 144-148
- Preoperative platelet count and survival prognosis in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.World J Surg. 2008; 32: 1051-1056
- Survival statistics gone awry: pancreatic cancer a case in point.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002; 35: 180-184
Published online: June 17, 2013
© 2013 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: Long-term survival does not equal cureSurgeryVol. 152Issue 3
- PreviewPancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma represents 90% of pancreatic cancers and is an important cause of cancer death in the United States. Operative resection remains as the only treatment providing prolonged survival, but even after a curative resection, 5-year survival rates are low. Our aim was to identify the prognostic factors for long-term survival after resection of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma related to patients, treatments, and tumor biology.
- Survival calculationsSurgeryVol. 156Issue 5
- In response to Birgir Gudjonsson, MDSurgeryVol. 154Issue 3