Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 'Swinging for the fences' versus striking out on cancer.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 662
- The cost of breast cancer screening in the Medicare population.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 220-226
- How cancer patients value hope and the implications for cost-effectiveness assessments of high-cost cancer therapies.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 676-682
- An analysis of whether higher health care spending in the United States versus europe is 'worth it' in the case of cancer.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 667-675
- Adoption of new surgical technology.BMJ. 2006; 332: 112-114
- High and rising health care costs. Part 2: technologic innovation.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 932-937
- The dynamics of technological change in medicine.Health Aff (Millwood). 1994; 13: 28-46
- Consumers' reports on the health effects of direct-to-consumer drug advertising.Health Aff (Millwood). 2003; (Suppl) Web Exclusives:W3-82-95
- Handbook of health economics.1st ed. Elsevier, Amsterdam, New York2000
- Reexploring differences among for-profit and nonprofit dialysis providers.Health Serv Res. 2010; 45: 633-646
- Does the ownership of the admitting hospital make a difference? Outcomes and process of care of Medicare beneficiaries admitted with acute myocardial infarction.Med Care. 2003; 41: 1193-1205
- Dialysis facility ownership and epoetin dosing in patients receiving hemodialysis.JAMA. 2007; 297: 1667-1674
- Pauly M.V. McGuire T.G. Barros P.P. Handbook of health economics. Vol 2. Elsevier, Amsterdam2012
- Patterns of use and short-term complications of breast brachytherapy in the national Medicare population from 2008-2009.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 4302-4307
- Long-term clinical and cosmetic outcomes after breast conservation treatment for women with early-stage breast carcinoma according to the type of breast boost.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Physics. 2011; 79: 1048-1054
- A cosmetic evaluation of breast cancer treatment: a randomized study of radiotherapy boost technique.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Physics. 2005; 62: 1274-1282
- Partial breast irradiation with interstitial high-dose-rate brachytherapy in early breast cancer: results of a phase II prospective study.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009; 35: 144-150
- Brachytherapy for accelerated partial-breast irradiation: a rapidly emerging technology in breast cancer care.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 157-165
- A cost comparison analysis of partial versus whole-breast irradiation after breast-conserving surgery for early-stage breast cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Physics. 2005; 62: 790-796
- Association between treatment with brachytherapy vs whole-breast irradiation and subsequent mastectomy, complications, and survival among older women with invasive breast cancer.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1827-1837
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation using brachytherapy for breast cancer: patterns in utilization and guideline concordance.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 29-41
- Intraoperative radiotherapy makes uncertain headway in the U.S.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 895-897
- Sounding a warning bell? Documentation of the increased utilization of accelerated partial breast irradiation.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 5-7
- Lumpectomy plus tamoxifen with or without irradiation in women 70 years of age or older with early breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 971-977
- Lumpectomy plus tamoxifen with or without irradiation in women age 70 or older with early breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 15s
- Effectiveness of radiation therapy for older women with early breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 681-690
- Does life expectancy affect treatment of women aged 80 and older with early stage breast cancers?.J Geriatr Oncol. 2012; 3: 8-16
- An algorithm for the use of Medicare claims data to identify women with incident breast cancer.Health Serv Res. 2004; 39: 1733-1749
- A method to predict breast cancer stage using Medicare claims.Epidemiol Perspect Innov. 2010; 7: 1
Medicare Enrollment Reports. 2012. Available from: http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/MedicareEnrpts.
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
Medicare Hospital General Information Dataset. Available from https://data.medicare.gov/Hospital-Compare/Hospital-General-Information/v287-28n3.
The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care: Zip-Code Crosswalk. Available from http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/tools/downloads.aspx?tab=35#crosswalks.
- Multilevel analysis: an introduction to basic and advanced multilevel modeling.Sage Publications, London, Thousand Oaks, CA1999
- Partial-breast irradiation versus whole-breast irradiation for early-stage breast cancer: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Int J Radiat Oncol. 2009; 74: 440-446
- The adoption of new adjuvant radiation therapy modalities among Medicare beneficiaries with breast cancer: clinical correlates and cost implications.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: 1186-1192
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation using brachytherapy (APBIb) for breast cancer (BCA): predictors of use and guideline concordance.Int J Radiat Oncol. 2011; 81 (S141)
- Breast conserving surgery and accelerated partial breast irradiation using the MammoSite system: initial clinical experience.Arch Surg. 2005; 140: 787-794
- Quickly Vetted, Treatment is Offered to Patients.New York, NY: New York Times, 2008
- Reimbursement policy and androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1822-1832
- How medicare's payment cuts for cancer chemotherapy drugs changed patterns of treatment.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 1391-1399
- Geographic variation in physicians' responses to a reimbursement change.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 2049-2052
- Advertising by academic medical centers.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 645-651
- Academic health centers on the front lines: survival strategies in highly competitive markets.Acad Med. 1999; 74: 1038-1049
- Industry “rewrites” of NCCN Guidelines.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2011; 9: 257
- Diffusion of good practices of care and decline of the association with case volume: the example of breast conserving surgery.BMC Health Serv Res. 2007; 7: 167
- Predictors of breast conservation therapy: size is not all that matters.Cancer. 2005; 103: 892-899
- Patient, hospital, and surgeon factors associated with breast conservation surgery. A statewide analysis in North Carolina.Ann Surg. 1996; 224 (discussion 26-9): 419-426
- Factors associated with the adoption of minimally invasive radical prostatectomy in the United States.J Urol. 2012; 188: 775-780
- Patient and hospital factors associated with use of sphincter-sparing surgery for rectal cancer.Dis Colon Rectum. 2010; 53: 115-120
- The economics of health and health care.5th ed. Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ2007
- Not-for-profit hospital as a physicians cooperative.Am Econ Rev. 1973; 63: 87-99
Supported by the National Cancer Institute ( R01CA149045 ).
Drs Ross and Gross are members of a scientific advisory board for FAIR Health, Inc. Drs Ross and Gross receive support from Medtronic, Inc to develop and implement methods of clinical trial data sharing and patient-level meta-analyses. Dr Ross is supported by the National Institute on Aging ( K08 AG032886 ) and by the American Federation for Aging Research through the Paul B. Beeson Career Development Award Program, from the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services to develop and maintain performance measures that are used for public reporting, and from the Pew Charitable Trusts to examine regulatory issues at the US Food and Drug Administration. Dr Krumholz is supported, in part, by grant U01 HL105270-03 ( Center for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research at Yale University ) from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute in Bethesda, MD. Dr Krumholz is the recipient of a research grant from Medtronic, Inc through Yale University and is chair of a cardiac scientific advisory board for UnitedHealth.