Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
- Anxiety and performance: the processing efficiency theory.Cogn Emot. 1992; 6: 409-434
- Anxiety and cognitive performance: attentional control theory.Emotion. 2007; 7: 336-353
- Perceptual training: what can be trained?.in: Hodges N.J. Williams A.M. Skill acquisition in sport: research, theory and practice. Routledge, London2012: 306-324
- Anxiety, movement kinematics, and visual attention in elite-level performers.Emotion. 2011; 11: 595-602
- Control of visual attention during basketball free throw.Am J Sports Med. 1996; 3: 93-97
- Advances in coupling perception and action: the quiet eye as a bidirectional link between gaze, attention, and action.Prog Brain Res. 2009; 174: 279-288
- Quiet eye duration and gun motion in elite shotgun shooting.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 1599-1608
- Performing under pressure: gaze control, decision making and shooting performance of elite and rookie police officers.Hum Mov Sci. 2011; 31: 101-117
- Training perceptual-cognitive skills: can sport psychology research inform military decision training.Mil Psychol. 2008; 20: S71-S102
- Psychomotor control in a virtual laparoscopic surgery training environment: gaze control parameters differentiate novices from experts.Surg Endosc. 2010; 24: 2458-2464
- Quiet eye duration, expertise, and task complexity in near and far aiming tasks.J Mot Behav. 2002; 34: 197-207
- Expertise differences in performance and quiet eye duration during identification and dissection of the recurrent laryngeal nerve.Am J Surg. 2014; 207: 187-193
Vickers JN, Harvey A, Snelgrove R, Stewart A, MacKenzie C, Arsenault G. Expertise differences in quiet eye duration during surgical knot tying. Int J Sport Psychol. In press.
- From processing efficiency to attentional control: a mechanistic account of the anxiety-performance relationship.Int Rev Sport Exerc Psychol. 2008; 1: 184-201
- Eye gaze patterns differentiate novice and experts in a virtual laparoscopic surgery training environment.in: Eye tracking research & applications symposium on eye tracking research & applications. ACM Press, New York2004: 41-48
- Surgeon's vigilance in the operating room.Am J Surg. 2011; 201: 673-677
- Gaze training enhances laparoscopic technical skill acquisition and multi-tasking performance: a randomized, controlled study.Surg Endosc. 2011; 25: 3731-3739
- The effects of stress on surgical performance.Am J Surg. 2006; 191: 5-10
- Professional expertise in medicine.in: Lanzer P. Catheter-based cardiovascular interventions – knowledge-based approach. Springer, New York2012: 97-112
- Cheating experience: guiding novices to adopt the gaze strategies of experts expedites the learning of technical laparoscopic skills.Surgery. 2012; 152: 32-40
- Quiet eye training expedites surgical knot tying: a randomized controlled study.Am J Surg. 2014; 208: 171-177
- Expertise in medicine: using the expert performance approach to improve simulation training.Med Educ. 2014; 48: 115-123
- The influence of anxiety on visual attentional control in basketball free throw shooting.J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2009; 31: 152-168
- The assessment of surgical skills and a simple knot-tying exercise.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2001; 83: 69-73
- Heart rate variability: origins, methods, and interpretive caveats.Psychophysiology. 1997; 34: 623-648
- Quiet eye training in a visuomotor control task.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1042-1049
- Training quiet eye improves accuracy in the basketball free throw.Sport Psychol. 2001; 15: 289-305
- Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2007 Perception, cognition and decision training: the quiet eye in action.
- Slowing down when you should: a new model of expert judgment.Acad Med. 2007; 82: S109-S116
- Training anticipation for intermediate tennis player.Behav Modif. 1998; 22: 243-261
- The importance of surgeon experience for clinical and economic outcomes from thyroidectomy.Ann Surg. 1998; 228: 320
- Perceptual-cognitive expertise in sport: a meta-analysis.J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2007; 29: 457-478
Funding was provided by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Canada, and the University of Calgary Program for Undergraduate Research Experience.