Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Drugs can affect men and women differently. Aired on 60 Minutes February 7, 2014. Available from http://www.cbsnews.com/news/drugs-can-affect-men-and-women-differently/.
Rabin RC. Labs Are Told to Start Including a Neglected Variable: Females, NY Times, May 14, 2014. Available from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/health/nih-tells-researchers-to-end-sex-bias-in-early-studies.html?hp&_r=0.
- Policy: NIH to balance sex in cell and animal studies.Nature. 2014; 509: 282-283
- Sex bias in trials and treatment must end.Nature. 2010; 465: 688-689
- Commentary: “Leaning in” to support sex differences in basic science and clinical research.Endocrinology. 2014; 155: 1181-1183
- Sex, equality and science.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: 5063-5064
- Age- and sex-specific genomic profiles in non–small cell lung cancer.JAMA. 2010; 303: 535-543
- Sex and racial differences in pharmacological response: where is the evidence? Pharmacogenetics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2005; 14: 19-29
- Women encounter ADRs more often than do men.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2008; 64: 999-1004
- Sex does matter: comments on the prevalence of male-only investigations of drug effects on rodent behaviour.Behav Pharmacol. 2007; 18: 583-589
- Adverse drug reactions in women's health care.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2011; 56: 205-213
American Association for Justice 2013. Unequal harm: The disproportionate damage to women from dangerous drugs and medical devices. Available from http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xbcr/justice/AAJ_Unequal_Harm.pdf.
- Enrollment and monitoring of women in post-approval studies for medical devices mandated by the Food and Drug.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014; 23: 218-223
- A randomized trial of aspirin and beta-carotene among U.S. physicians.Prev Med. 1985; 14: 165-168
- Males still dominate animal studies.Nature. 2010; 465: 690
- Low rate of sex-specific result reporting in cardiovascular trials.Mayo Clin Proc. 2007; 82: 166-170
- Female mice liberated for inclusion in neuroscience and biomedical research.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2014; 40: 1-5
- Understanding the sexome: measuring and reporting sex differences in gene systems.Endocrinology. 2012; 153: 2551-2555
- Sex bias in neuroscience and biomedical research.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2011; 35: 565-572
Johnson PA, Fitzgerald T, Salganicoff A, Wood SF, Goldstein JM, Colson YL, et al. Sex-specific medical research: why women's health can't wait. A Report of the Mary Horrigan Connors Center for Women's Health & Gender Biology at Brigham and Women's Hospital, 2014, p. 32. Available from http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Departments_and_Services/womenshealth/ConnorsCenter/Policy/ConnorsReportFINAL.pdf.
- Female-specific aspects in the pharmacotherapy of chronic cardiovascular diseases.Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 1585-1595
- Cough and angiotensin II receptor antagonists: cause or confounding?.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1999; 47: 111-114
- Risk of proarrhythmia with class III antiarrhythmic agents: sex-based differences and other issues.Am J Cardiol. 2003; 91: 39D-44D
- A randomized trial of low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in women.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1293-1304
- Even as mortality fell in most US counties, female mortality nonetheless rose in 42.8 percent of counties from 1992 to 2006.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 451-458
- Reporting of sex as a variable in cardiovascular studies using cultured cells.Biol Sex Differ. 2011; 2: 11
- Women subjects in NIH-funded clinical research literature: lack of progress in both representation and analysis by sex.J Womens Health Gend Based Med. 2000; 9: 495-504
- The relation between “spontaneous” activity and oestrous cycle in the rat.Comp Psychol Mon. 1923; 2: 1-27
- Bringing gender expertise to biomedical and health-related research.Gend Med. 2007; 4: S59-S63
- Gender perspectives in European research.Pharmacol Res. 2008; 58: 183-189
- National study of physician awareness and adherence to cardiovascular disease prevention guidelines.Circulation. 2005; 111: 499-510
- What do medical schools teach about women's health and gender differences?.Acad Med. 2006; 81: 476-482