To describe a standardized, efficient, and cost-effective protocol for the diagnosis of temporary/persisting postoperative hypoparathyroidism after (total) thyroidectomy.
We included 237 consecutive patients who underwent (total) thyroidectomy without central neck dissection for various indications. Serum calcium (sCa) and intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) levels were measured prospectively on the morning of postoperative day 1 to predict the long-term parathyroid metabolism. On the morning of postoperative day 2, measurements were repeated. Follow-up was performed at 1 and 6 months postoperatively.
On the morning of postoperative day 1, patients with iPTH ≥ 15 pg/mL (178/237; 75%) and sCa > 2.0 mmol/L were normocalcemic, and “normal” parathyroid metabolism was predicted. iPTH levels of <10 pg/mL and sCa levels of ≤2.0 mmol/L were present in 33 of the 237 patients (“disturbed” parathyroid metabolism; 14%). A “gray zone” included patients with “uncertain” parathyroid metabolism demonstrating iPTH levels between 10 and 15 pg/mL (26/237; 11%). Patients with “disturbed” and “uncertain” parathyroid metabolism were given oral calcium and vitamin D. On the morning of the second postoperative day, iPTH turned to “normal” in 10 of those 26 (38%) patients, and no further calcium or vitamin D was given. During follow-up, supplemental calcium and vitamin D was able to be stopped in all but 2 patients (“permanent” hypoparathyroidism; 2/237; 0.8%).
Measurement of iPTH on the morning after operation allows accurate prediction of postoperative parathyroid function in ≥99% of cases. This simple recommendation is practicable in all surgical units, and is an efficient and cost-effective way to recognize patients who require calcium and vitamin D supplementation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Parathyroid autotransplantation during thyroid surgery.J Surg Oncol. 1991; 46: 21-24
- Complications of thyroid surgery: how to avoid them, how to manage them, and observations on their possible effect on the whole patient.World J Surg. 2000; 24: 971-975
- Hypocalcemia following thyroid surgery: incidence and prediction of outcome.World J Surg. 1998; 22: 718-724
- Outcome of protracted hypoparathyroidism after total thyroidectomy.Br J Surg. 2010; 97: 1687-1695
- Complications to thyroid surgery: results as reported in a database from a multicenter audit comprising 3,660 patients.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2008; 393: 667-673
- An algorithm informed by the parathyroid hormone level reduces hypocalcemic complications of thyroidectomy.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 532-537
- Postoperative parathyroid hormone testing decreases symptomatic hypocalcemia and associated emergency room visits after total thyroidectomy.Surgery. 2010; 148: 841-844
- Australian Endocrine Surgeons Guidelines AES06/01. Postoperative parathyroid hormone measurement and early discharge after total thyroidectomy: analysis of Australian data and management recommendations.ANZ J Surg. 2007; 77: 199-202
- Applicability of intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay during total thyroidectomy as a guide for the surgeon to selective parathyroid tissue autotransplantation.World J Surg. 2008; 32: 822-828
- Intraoperative parathormone measurement from the internal jugular vein predicts post-thyroidectomy hypocalcaemia.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2007; 392: 699-702
- Postoperative PTH measurement facilitates day 1 discharge after total thyroidectomy.Clin Endocrinol. 2009; 70: 322-325
- Evidence for the role of perioperative PTH measurement after total thyroidectomy as a predictor of hypocalcemia.World J Surg. 2008; 32: 1367-1373
- A prospective evaluation of quick intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay at the time of skin closure in predicting clinically relevant hypocalcemia after thyroidectomy.World J Surg. 2012; 36: 1300-1306
- Parathyroid hormone decline 4 hours after total thyroidectomy accurately predicts hypocalcemia.Surgery. 2012; 152: 863-868
- Early prediction of hypocalcemia after thyroidectomy using parathyroid hormone: an analysis of pooled individual patient data from nine observational studies.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 205: 748-754
- Early prediction of hypocalcemia following total thyroidectomy using combined intact parathyroid hormone and serum calcium measurement.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2013; 398: 423-430
- Combining early postoperative parathyroid hormone and serum calcium levels allows for an efficacious selective post-thyroidectomy supplementation treatment.World J Surg. 2012; 36: 1307-1313
- Thyroidectomy and parathyroid hormone: tracing hypocalcemia-prone patients.Am J Surg. 2008; 196: 285-288
- The value of postoperative parathyroid hormone levels in predicting the need for long-term vitamin D supplementation after total thyroidectomy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2011; 18: 777-781
- Prospectives and surgical usefulness of perioperative parathyroid hormone assay in thyroid surgery.Expert Rev Med Devices. 2008; 5: 699-704
- Hypoparathyroidism after total thyroidectomy: a prospective study.Arch Surg. 2008; 143: 132-137
- “Same-day” thyroid surgery: an analysis of safety, cost savings, and outcome.Am Surg. 1997; 63: 586-589
- Evaluation of total/near-total thyroidectomy in a short-stay hospitalization: safe and cost-effective.Surgery. 1995; 118: 943-947
- The impact of age, vitamin D(3) level, and incidental parathyroidectomy on postoperative hypocalcemia after total or near total thyroidectomy.Am J Surg. 2009; 197: 439-446
- The transplantation of parathyroid tissue in man: development, indications, technique, and results.Endocr Rev. 1982; 3: 245-279
- Transient hypocalcemia after thyroidectomy.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1993; 102: 496-501
- Hypocalcemia after thyroidectomy.Arch Surg. 1992; 127: 854-858
- Changes of serum calcium level following thyroid surgery–reasons and clinical implications.Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2000; 108: 364-368
- Predicting the need for calcium and calcitriol supplementation after total thyroidectomy: Results of a prospective, randomized study.Surgery. 2012; 152: 1059-1067
Published online: December 19, 2014
Accepted: September 4, 2014
Disclosure statement: The authors have nothing to declare.
© 2015 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.