Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Surgery.in: Jamison D.T. Breman J.G. Measham A.R. Alleyne G. Claeson M. Evans D.B. Disease control priorities in developing countries. 2nd ed. World Bank Publications, Washington (DC)2006
- An estimation of the global volume of surgery: a modelling strategy based on available data.Lancet. 2008; 372: 139-144
- Global operating theatre distribution and pulse oximetry supply: an estimation from reported data.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1055-1061
- Increasing access to surgical services in sub-Saharan Africa: priorities for national and international agencies recommended by the Bellagio Essential Surgery Group.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000200
- The “other” neglected diseases in global public health: surgical conditions in sub-Saharan Africa.PLoS Med. 2008; 5: e121
- Quantifying surgical capacity in Sierra Leone: a guide for improving surgical care.Arch Surg. 2009; 144: 122-127
- Validation of the World Health Organization tool for situational analysis to assess emergency and essential surgical care at district hospitals in Ghana.World J Surg. 2011; 35: 500-504
- Development of a surgical capacity index: opportunities for assessment and improvement.World J Surg. 2012; 36: 232-239
- Liberian surgical and anesthesia infrastructure: a survey of county hospitals.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 721-729
- Rwandan surgical and anesthesia infrastructure: a survey of district hospitals.World J Surg. 2011; 35: 1770-1780
- Challenges of surgery in developing countries: a survey of surgical and anesthesia capacity in Uganda's public hospitals.World J Surg. 2012; 36: 1056-1065
- Percentage of cesarean sections among total surgical procedures in sub-Saharan Africa: possible indicator of the overall adequacy of surgical care.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 2007-2008
- Ratio of cesarean deliveries to total operations and surgeon nationality are potential proxies for surgical capacity in Central Haiti.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 1526-1529
- Caesarean section rate for maternal indication in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1328-1333
Chipande G, Blay P, Kargbo SB, Conteh AB, Konneh TS. Sierra Leone Human Development Report [updated 2007; cited 2014 Nov 23]. United Nations Development Programme. Available from: http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/sierraleone_nhdr_20071.pdf.
- Prevalence of treated and untreated groin hernia in eastern Uganda.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 728-734
- Service availability and readiness assessment. WHO Report: Ministry of Health and Sanitation.WHO, Geneva2011
Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MOHS). Housing and population census. Sierra Leone 2004. [updated 2004; cited 2014 Nov 24]. Available from: http://www.sierra-leone.org/Census/ssl_final_results.pdf.
- Sierra Leone's free health-care initiative: work in progress.Lancet. 2013; 381: 191-192
Grant support: Project funded by the Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway, and CapaCare.
Conflict of interests: None.