Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Surgery.in: Jamison D.T. Breman J.G. Measham A.R. Alleyne G. Claeson M. Evans D.B. Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. 2nd ed. World Bank, Washington (DC)2006
- Surgical rates in Africa. Variations and their possible explanations.Trop Geogr Med. 1990; 42: 352-358
- Untreated surgical conditions in Sierra Leone: a cluster randomised, cross-sectional, countrywide survey.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1082-1087
- Systematic review of met and unmet need of surgical disease in rural sub-Saharan Africa.World J Surg. 2012; 36: 8-23
- Prevalence of treated and untreated groin hernia in eastern Uganda.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 728-734
- Nationally representative household survey of surgery and mortality in Sierra Leone.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 1829-1835
- An estimation of the global volume of surgery: a modelling strategy based on available data.Lancet. 2008; 372: 139-144
- Surgery as a public health intervention: common misconceptions versus the truth.Bull World Health Organ. 2011; 89: 394
- WHO's budgetary allocations and burden of disease: a comparative analysis.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1563-1569
- Grand challenges in chronic non-communicable diseases.Nature. 2007; 450: 494-496
- A cost effective small hospital in Bangladesh: what it can mean for emergency obstetric care.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2003; 81: 83-92
- Cost-effectiveness of groin hernia surgery in the Western Region of Ghana.Arch Surg. 2010; 145: 954-961
- Cost/DALY averted in a small hospital in Sierra Leone: what is the relative contribution of different services?.World J Surg. 2006; 30: 505-511
- Developing priorities for addressing surgical conditions globally: furthering the link between surgery and public health policy.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 381-385
- Essential surgery at the district hospital: a retrospective descriptive analysis in three African countries.PLoS Med. 2010; 7: e1000243
- Surgical output in Kibaale district, Uganda.East Afr Med J. 2001; 78: 379-381
- Incidence and estimated need of caesarean section, inguinal hernia repair, and operation for strangulated hernia in rural Africa.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1984; 289: 92-93
- Surgery in Malawi – a national survey of activity in rural and urban hospitals.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2007; 89: 722-724
- Major and minor surgery output at district level in Kenya: review and issues in need of further research.Afr J Health Sci. 2002; 9: 17-25
- Iganga General Hospital, Situation Analysis Report.Iganga District Administration, Iganga, Uganda2010
- The Second Global Patient Safety Challenge: safe surgery saves lives.World Health Organization, Geneva2008
World Health Organization. Uganda tuberculosis finance profile [cited 2014 Sep 27]. Available from: https://extranet.who.int/sree/Reports?op=Replet&name=%2FWHO_HQ_Reports%2FG2%2FPROD%2FEXT%2FTBFinancingCountryProfile&ISO2=UG&outtype=html.
- The cost of providing comprehensive HIV treatment in PEPFAR-supported programs.AIDS. 2011; 25: 1753-1760
- At what price? A cost-effectiveness analysis comparing trial of labour after previous caesarean versus elective repeat caesarean delivery.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e58577
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of local, regional and general anaesthesia for inguinal hernia repair using data from a randomized clinical trial.Br J Surg. 2007; 94: 500-505
- Intervention cost-effectiveness: overview of main messages. disease control priorities in developing countries.2nd ed. World Bank, Washington, DC2006
- Appropriate technology for birth.Lancet. 1985; 2: 436-437
- European Hernia Society guidelines on the treatment of inguinal hernia in adult patients.Hernia. 2009; 13: 343-403
The World Bank. Country data [cited 2014 28 Sep]. Available from: http://data.worldbank.org/country/uganda.
Funding was received from the Swedish Society of Medicine as well as the Golje Foundation, SLS-171201, Sweden. No funding or other support was received from the industry.