Inflammation plays a crucial role in tumor growth, metastasis, and survival. The preoperative platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio (PLR) has been reported as a significant prognostic indicators in several digestive malignancies. Our objective was to evaluate whether preoperative PLR is a prognostic index in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
Data from 131 patients who underwent pancreatic resection for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma were available from a prospectively maintained database. The patients were divided into groups according to a preoperative PLR of <150 or ≥150. Survival data were analyzed.
In univariate and multivariate analyses, a preoperative PLR of ≥150 was a significant and independent risk factor for cancer recurrence and poor survival, respectively (disease-free survival [DFS]; P= .0014, P = .047; OS, P ≤ .01each). Similarly, lymph node metastasis, and moderate or poor differentiation were independent risk factors for cancer recurrence, whereas tumor diameter, positive surgical margin, and moderate or poor differentiation were independent risk factors for poor patient survival (P ≤ .05 each).
The preoperative PLR in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma was an independent predictor in DFS and overall survival after elective resection. Measurement of the PLR may help decision making in the postoperative management of patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2013.CA Cancer J Clin. 2013; 63: 11-30
- National failure to operate on early stage pancreatic cancer.Ann Surg. 2007; 246: 173-180
- Current standards of surgery for pancreatic cancer.Br J Surg. 2004; 91: 1410-1427
- A randomized trial of chemoradiotherapy and chemotherapy after resection of pancreatic cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1200-1210
- Long-term survival after pancreatoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: is cure possible?.Ann Surg. 2008; 247: 456-462
- Analysis of long-term survivors after surgical resection for pancreatic cancer.Pancreas. 2006; 32: 271-275
- S-1 vs. gemcitabine as an adjuvant therapy after surgical resection for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.World J Surg. 2014; 38: 2986-2993
- Immunity, inflammation, and cancer.Cell. 2010; 140: 883-899
- Comparison of the prognostic value of tumor- and patient- related factors in patients undergoing potentially curative resection of oesophageal cancer.World J Surg. 2011; 35: 1861-1866
- The effect of peripheral blood values on prognosis of patients with locally advanced gastric cancer before treatment.Med Oncol. 2010; 27: 1060-1065
- Initial neutrophil lymphocyte ratio is superior to platelet lymphocyte ratio as an adverse prognostic and predictive factor in metastatic colorectal cancer.Med Oncol. 2013; 30: 439
- Comparison of the prognostic value of inflammation-based prognostic scores in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.Br J Cancer. 2012; 107: 988-993
- Prognostic significance of neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio in hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis.BMC Cancer. 2014; 14: 117
- A systematic review and meta-analysis on the impact of pre-operative neutrophil lymphocyte ratio on long term outcomes after curative intent resection of solid tumours.Surg Oncol. 2014; 23: 31-39
- Preoperative hematologic markers as independent predictors of prognosis in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: neutrophil-lymphocyte versus platelet-lymphocyte ratio.Am J Surg. 2010; 200: 197-203
- Comparison of the prognostic values of various inflammation based factors in patients with pancreatic cancer.Med Oncol. 2012; 29: 3092-3100
- Prognostic value of systemic inflammation-based markers in advanced pancreatic cancer.Intern Med J. 2014; 44: 676-682
- Preoperative platelet-lymphocyte ratio is an independent significant prognostic marker in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.Am J Surg. 2009; 197: 466-472
American Society of Anesthesiologists. ASA physical status classification system [cited 2015 Feb 17]. Available from: www.asahq.org/resources/clinical-information/asa-physical-status-classification-system.
- General rules for the study of pancreatic cancer.6th ed. Kanehara, Tokyo2009
- Inflammation and cancer.Nature. 2002; 420: 860-867
- Nuclear factor-kappa B in cancer development and progression.Nature. 2006; 441: 431-436
- Cancer-related inflammation.Nature. 2008; 454: 436-444
- Cytokines in pancreatic carcinoma: correlation with phenotypic characteristics and prognosis.Cancer. 2004; 101: 2727-2736
- Levels of serum cytokines and acute phase proteins in patients with essential and cancer-related thrombocytosis.Am J Clin Oncol. 2003; 26: 135-140
- Role of blood platelets in infection and inflammation.J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2002; 22: 913-922
- Tumor-platelet interaction in solid tumors.Int J Cancer. 2012; 130: 2747-2760
- Platelets effects on tumor growth.Semin Oncol. 2014; 41: 359-369
- Tumor-cell induced platelet aggregation is a glycoprotein-dependent and lipoxygenase-associated process.Int J Cancer. 1987; 39: 760-763
- Antimetastatic effects associated with platelet reduction.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1968; 61: 46-52
- Growth factors and cytokines in wound healing.Wound Repair Regen. 2008; 16: 585-601
- VEGF targets the tumor cell.Nat Rev Cancer. 2013; 13: 871-882
- Activation of cancer cell proteases and cytotoxicity by EGF and PDGF growth factors.Am J Med Sci. 1990; 300: 9-15
- The wolf in sheep's clothing: platelet-derived “pseudo self” impairs cancer cell “missing self” recognition by NK cells.Oncoimmunology. 2012; 1: 557-559
- Platelets and fibrin(ogen) increase metastatic potential by impeding natural killer cell-mediated elimination of tumor cells.Blood. 2005; 105: 178-185
- Platelet-derived transforming growth factor-beta down-regulates NKG2D thereby inhibiting natural killer cell antitumor reactivity.Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 7775-7783
- Virally inactivated human platelet concentrate lysate induces regulatory T cells and immunosuppressive effect in a murine asthma model.Transfusion. 2013; 53: 1918-1928
- The therapeutic implications of intratumoral regulatory T cells.Clin Cancer Res. 2005; 11: 8226-8229
- Cytokine expression profile in human pancreatic carcinoma cells and in surgical specimens: implications for survival.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2006; 55: 684-698
- Preoperative neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (NLR) is associated with reduced disease-free survival following curative resection of pancreatic adenocarcinoma.World J Surg. 2011; 35: 868-872
- A meta-analysis on the efficacy of preoperative biliary drainage for tumors causing obstructive jaundice.Ann Surg. 2002; 236: 17-27
Published online: May 29, 2015
Accepted: March 3, 2015
© 2015 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.