Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
- The SAGES Manual of Quality, Outcomes, and Patient Safety.Springer, New York2012
- Serious Reportable Events In Healthcare—2011 Update: A Consensus Report. National Quality Forum, Washington, DC2011
The Joint Commission. Sentinel Event Policy and Procedures. 2013. Available from: http://www.jointcommission.org/Sentinel_Event_Policy_and_Procedures/default.aspx.
- Understanding and responding to adverse events.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 1051-1056
- Surgical never events in the United States.Surgery. 2013; 153: 465-472
- Provisional publication of never events reported as occurring between 1 April and 31 October 2014. AMA News, London2014
- Wrong-site and wrong-patient procedures in the universal protocol era: analysis of a prospective database of physician self-reported occurrences.Arch Surg. 2010; 145: 978-984
- Ergonomic usability testing of operating room devices.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008; 132: 147-152
- Human error: models and management.BMJ. 2000; 320: 768-770
- Living with high-risk technologies.Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ1999
- A surgical safety checklist to reduce morbidity and mortality in a global population.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 491-499
- Patient safety in surgical oncology: perspective from the operating room.Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2012; 21: 467-478
- Effectiveness and efficiency of root cause analysis in medicine.JAMA. 2008; 299: 685-687
- Human error approach to aviation accident analysis: the human factors analysis and classification system.Ashgate, Aldershot, 2003
- Evaluation of the HFACS-ADF safety classification system: inter-coder consensus and intra-coder consistency.Accid Anal Prev. 2010; 42: 437-444
- The Human Factors Analysis Classification System (HFACS) applied to health care.Am J Med Qual. 2014; 29: 181-190
- Application of the human factors analysis and classification system methodology to the cardiovascular surgery operating room.Ann Thorac Surg. 2007; 83: 1412-1418
- To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System.National Academy Press, Washington, DC1999
- Temporal trends in rates of patient harm resulting from medical care.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2124-2134
- Nature of human error: implications for surgical practice.Ann Surg. 2006; 244: 642-648
- Using a data-matrix-coded sponge counting system across a surgical practice: impact after 18 months.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2011; 37: 51-58
- Retained surgical sponges, needles and instruments.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013; 95: 87-92
- The use of human factors and ergonomics to promote safety and efficiency in the operating room, with an emphasis on minimally invasive surgery.Hum Factors Ergon Manuf Serv Ind. 2014; 24: 308-317
- Team consistency and occurrences of prolonged operative time, prolonged hospital stay, and hospital readmission: a retrospective analysis.World J Surg. 2015; 39: 890-896
- Preventing wrong site, procedure, and patient events using a common cause analysis.Am J Med Qual. 2012; 27: 21-29
Research reported in this manuscript was supported in part by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases of the National Institutes of Health under award number K23DK93553. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
Dr Hallbeck receives grant funding from Stryker Endoscopy. This funding is not perceived as constituting a conflict of interest for the accepted manuscript. Dr Bingener is supported through a research grant (NIDDK), specified research through Nestle and Stryker Endoscopy, has received travel support from Intuitive Surgical, and serves on the Surgeon Advisory Board for Titan Medical. She perceives no conflict of interest as it relates to the manuscript. Other than Dr Bingener's time, no financial support was provided for the preparation of the manuscript.