Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
- Readability of patient education materials on the American Association for Surgery of Trauma Website.Arch Trauma Res. 2014; 3: e18161
- Do patients understand discharge instructions?.J Emerg Nurs. 2011; 37: 138-140
- Readability of patient education materials available at the point of care.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 1165-1170
- Readability of information leaflets given to attenders at hospital with a head injury.Emerg Med J. 2010; 27: 279-282
- Hospital discharge instructions: comprehension and compliance among older adults.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 1491-1498
- Assessing readability of patient education materials: current role in orthopaedics.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 2572-2580
Engel KG, Buckley BA, Forth VE, McCarthy DM, Ellison EP, Schmidt MJ, et al. Patient understanding of emergency department discharge instructions: where are knowledge deficits greatest? Acad Emerg Med 2012;19:E1035–44.
- Understanding the health literacy of America: Results of the National Assessment of Adult Literacy.Orthop Nurs. 2009; 28 (quiz 33–4): 27-32
- Assessment of readability, understandability, and completeness of pediatric hospital medicine discharge instructions.J Hosp Med. 2017; 12: 98-101
- Promoting health literacy.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2005; 12: 152-163
- Setting a national agenda for surgical disparities research: Recommendations from the National Institutes of Health and American College of Surgeons Summit.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 554-563
- Association between functional health literacy and postoperative recovery, health care contacts, and health-related quality of life among patients undergoing day surgery: Secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 738-745
- Literacy and health outcomes.Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ). 2004; 87: 1-8
National Center for Health Statistics. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CfDCaP Web site. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/hospital.htm. Accessed May 3, 2017.
- Health Literacy: A linicians.American Medical Association, American Medical Foundation, Chicago, IL2007
- Association of health literacy with postoperative outcomes in patients undergoing major abdominal surgery.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 137-142
- Prospective Evaluation of low-health literacy and its impact on outcomes in trauma patients.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 85: 187-192
- Adverse events among medical patients after discharge from hospital.CMAJ. 2004; 170: 345-349
- The association of post-discharge adverse events with timely follow-up visits after hospital discharge.PloS One. 2017; 12e0182669
- Reducing hospital readmission: current strategies and future directions.Annu Rev Med. 2014; 65: 471-485
- Assessing the Impact of nurse post-discharge telephone calls on 30-day hospital readmission rates.Journal of Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 1519-1525
- Patient comprehension of discharge instructions from the emergency department: A literature review.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2013; 25: 186-194
- Preventing 30-day hospital readmissions: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1095-1107
- Trauma advanced practice provider programme development in an academic setting to optimize care coordination.Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2017; 2e000068
Choudhry AJ, Baghdadi YMK, Wagie AE, Habermann EB, Heller SF, Jenkins DH, et al. Readability of discharge summaries: with what level of information are we dismissing our patients? Am J Surg 2016;211:631–6.
- A new readability yardstick.J Appl Psychol. 1948; 32: 221-233
- Assessment of outcome after severe brain damage.Lancet. 1975; 1: 480-484
- Congruence between education and reading levels of older persons.Psychiatr Serv. 1996; 47: 194-196
American Council on Education. (2014). GED Technical manual. Washington, D.C.
- Benefits of comprehensive inpatient education and discharge planning combined with outpatient support in elderly patients with congestive heart failure.Congest Heart Fail. 2005; 11: 315-321
- A reengineered hospital discharge program to decrease rehospitalization: A randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 178-187
- The care transitions intervention: Results of a randomized controlled trial.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1822-1828
- Comprehensive discharge planning for the hospitalized elderly.A randomized clinical trial. Ann Intern Med. 1994; 120: 999-1006
- Comprehensive discharge planning and home follow-up of hospitalized elders: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 1999; 281: 613-620
- Does home based medication review keep older people out of hospital? The HOMER randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2005; 330: 293
- Discharge planning from hospital to home.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; Cd000313
- Creating a better discharge summary: Improvement in quality and timeliness using an electronic discharge summary.J Hosp Med. 2009; 4: 219-225
- Treatment of post-traumatic cognitive impairments.Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2012; 14: 493-508
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (mTBI) and chronic cognitive impairment: A scoping review.PloS One. 2017; 12e0174847
- Cognitive sequelae of traumatic brain injury.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2014; 37: 1-11
Supported by CTSA Grant Number UL1 TR000135 and KL2 TR000136 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, a component of the National Institutes of Health. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of the National Institutes of Health.
Presented in part at the 2017 Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons.