Glypican-3 plays a vital role in regulating embryonic morphogenesis of the liver. This study aimed to investigate associations of hepatic expressions of glypican-3 and alpha-smooth muscle actin with clinical parameters in biliary atresia.
Liver specimens were obtained from 20 biliary atresia infants and 7 non-biliary atresia controls. Relative mRNA expressions of glypican-3, alpha-smooth muscle actin, and signaling molecules of Wnt/β-catenin were measured using real-time polymerase chain reaction. Protein expressions of glypican-3 and alpha-smooth muscle actin were examined using immunohistochemistry. Masson’s trichrome staining was conducted to evaluate the stage of liver fibrosis.
Up-regulation of glypican-3 mRNA expression was observed in biliary atresia livers, and its expression was positively associated with alpha-smooth muscle actin, β-catenin, c-Myc, and cyclin D-1. Immunostaining scores of glypican-3 and alpha-smooth muscle actin were significantly increased in biliary atresia livers. Biliary atresia patients with poor outcomes had significantly greater glypican-3 expression than those with good outcomes, consistent with hepatic alpha-smooth muscle actin expression analysis. Hepatic glypican-3 expression was associated with age, albumin, aspartate transaminase, and alkaline phosphatase in biliary atresia patients, while hepatic alpha-smooth muscle actin expression was correlated with alkaline phosphatase in the patients. Moreover, glypican-3 and alpha-smooth muscle actin expressions were positively associated with fibrosis stage in biliary atresia livers. There was a positive relationship between glypican-3 and alpha-smooth muscle actin expression in biliary atresia livers. Combined high expressions of glypican-3 and alpha-smooth muscle actin were associated with poor survival.
Hepatic overexpressions of glypican-3 and alpha-smooth muscle actin were associated with hepatic dysfunction and the degree of liver fibrosis in biliary atresia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Biliary atresia: 10 year-experience at Chulalongkorn University Hospital.Chula Med J. 1996; 40: 193-202
- Association of vitamin D-related genetic variations and the susceptibility among Thai children with biliary atresia.Chula Med J. 2019; 63: 253-260
- Maximizing Kasai portoenterostomy in the treatment of biliary atresia: medical and surgical options.S Afr Med J. 2012; 102: 865-867
- Glypicans: proteoglycans with a surprise.J Clin Invest. 2001; 108: 497-501
- The oncofetal protein glypican-3 is a novel marker of hepatic progenitor/oval cells.Lab Invest. 2006; 86: 1272-1284
- The role of glypicans in mammalian development.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002; 1573: 241-246
- Fibrolamellar carcinoma of the liver exhibits immunohistochemical evidence of both hepatocyte and bile duct differentiation.Mod Pathol. 2010; 23: 1180-1190
- Glypican-3 is overexpressed in lung squamous cell carcinoma, but not in adenocarcinoma.Mod Pathol. 2008; 21: 817-825
- Hepatocellular oncofetal protein, glypican 3 is a sensitive marker for alpha-fetoprotein–producing gastric carcinoma.Histopathology. 2006; 49: 479-486
- Enhanced glypican-3 expression differentiates the majority of hepatocellular carcinomas from benign hepatic disorders.Gut. 2001; 48: 558-564
- Glypican-3 promotes the growth of hepatocellular carcinoma by stimulating canonical Wnt signaling.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 6245-6254
- Glypican-3, overexpressed specifically in human hepatocellular carcinoma, is a novel tumor marker.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003; 306: 16-25
- Cellular distribution of smooth muscle actins during mammalian embryogenesis: expression of the alpha-vascular but not the gamma-enteric isoform in differentiating striated myocytes.J Cell Biol. 1989; 109: 2929-2937
- α-SMA overexpression associated with increased liver fibrosis in infants with biliary atresia.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012; 55: 653-656
- CD82 supports survival of childhood acute myeloid leukemia cells via activation of Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway.Pediatr Res. 2019; 85: 1024-1031
- An algorithm for the grading of activity in chronic hepatitis C. The METAVIR Cooperative Study Group.Hepatology. 1996; 24: 289-293
- Investigation of the role of glypican 3 in liver regeneration and hepatocyte proliferation.Am J Pathol. 2009; 175: 717-724
- Stabilization of beta-catenin affects mouse embryonic liver growth and hepatoblast fate.Hepatology. 2008; 47: 247-258
- Significance of glypican-3 mRNA expression in hepatocellular carcinoma tissues and peripheral blood cells.Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2006; 44: 458-462
- Glypican-3, overexpressed in hepatocellular carcinoma, modulates FGF2 and BMP-7 signaling.Int J Cancer. 2003; 103: 455-465
- Glypican-3 expression in clear cell adenocarcinoma of the ovary.Mod Pathol. 2009; 22: 824-832
- Immunohistochemical study of glypican 3 in thyroid cancer.Oncology. 2007; 73: 389-394
- Glypican-3 expression is correlated with poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer Sci. 2009; 100: 1403-1407
- WNT/β-catenin signaling and hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 452-454
- Alpha-SMA expression in hepatic stellate cells and quantitative analysis of hepatic fibrosis in cirrhosis and in recurrent chronic hepatitis after liver transplantation.Dig Liver Dis. 2005; 37: 349-356
- The histological quantification of alpha-smooth muscle actin predicts future graft fibrosis in pediatric liver transplant recipients.Pediatr Transplant. 2017; 21
- The glypican 3 hepatocellular carcinoma marker regulates human hepatic stellate cells via Hedgehog signaling.J Surg Res. 2014; 187: 377-385
- Role for hedgehog signaling in hepatic stellate cell activation and viability.Lab Invest. 2005; 85: 1368-1380
Published online: November 21, 2019
Accepted: October 9, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.