Anastomotic leak is a major complication after esophagectomy. There is a paucity of data on long-term oncological outcomes of cervical anastomotic leak after esophagectomy for cancer. We evaluated the impact of such a leak on postoperative outcomes as well as on long-term oncological outcomes.
A retrospective analysis of a prospectively maintained database of patients with esophageal cancer who underwent esophagectomy with a cervical esophagogastric anastomosis between 2010 and 2017. Patients were divided into 3 groups: patients with no anastomotic leak; patients with nonsevere (type 1 & 2) leak, and patients with severe (type 3) leak. A comparison of postoperative and long-term oncological outcomes was made between the groups.
Two hundred and eight patients were included in this study. Thirty-two (15%) patients had cervical anastomotic leak, of which 20 (63%) had type 1 and 2 (nonsevere) leak, and 12 (37%) had type 3 (severe) leak. Overall, 30-day mortality rate was 7%. Mortality rate was 4% in patients without leak, 15% in patients with nonsevere leak, and 25% in patients with severe anastomotic leak (P = .007). Overall median survival was 42 months. Patients with severe leak had poorer overall survival compared to patients with nonsevere and no anastomotic leak (6, 38, and 39 months, respectively, P = .011). There was no difference in disease-free survival of patients with or without anastomotic leak.
Leakage from cervical anastomosis after esophagectomy had no impact on disease-free survival of patients with esophageal cancer. Severe anastomotic leak was associated with lower overall survival, probably due to a high rate of postoperative mortality.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 4
- Therapeutic strategies in oesophageal carcinoma: role of surgery and other modalities.Lancet Oncol. 2007; 8: 545-553
- Reporting of short-term clinical outcomes after esophagectomy: a systematic review.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 658-666
- Impact of anastomotic leakage on long-term survival of patients undergoing curative resection for colorectal cancer.Br J Surg. 2005; 92: 1150-1154
- Impact of anastomotic leak on recurrence and survival after colorectal cancer surgery: a BioGrid Australia analysis.ANZ J Surg. 2018; 88: E6-E10
- The long-term impact of postoperative pulmonary complications after video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy for lung cancer.J Thorac Dis. 2017; 9: 5143-5152
- The long-term impact of surgical complications after resection of stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer: a population-based survival analysis.Ann Surg. 2011; 254: 368-374
- Disease-related mortality within the first year after subtotal esophagectomy for cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2011; 18: 1139-1144
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy: the Brigham and Women’s Hospital experience.Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2017; 6: 175-178
- The management of esophagogastric anastomotic leak after esophagectomy for esophageal carcinoma.Dis Esophagus. 2009; 22: 119-126
- Postoperative complications do not affect long-term outcome in esophageal cancer patients.World J Surg. 2015; 38: 2652-2661
- Surgical complications and long-term survival after esophagectomy for cancer in a nationwide Swedish cohort study.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2012; 38: 555-561
- Critical appraisal of the significance of intrathoracic anastomotic leakage after esophagectomy for cancer.Am J Surg. 2001; 181: 198-203
- Worldwide Esophageal Cancer Collaboration: clinical staging data.Dis Esophagus. 2016; 29: 707-714
- A. review of ASA physical status: historical perspectives and modern developments.Anaesthesia. 2019; 74: 373-379
- The Clavien-Dindo classification of surgical complications: five-year experience.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 187-196
- International consensus on standardization of data collection for complications associated with esophagectomy: esophagectomy Complications Consensus Group (ECCG).Ann Surg. 2015; 262: 286-294
- Anastomotic leakage post-esophagogastrectomy for esophageal carcinoma: retrospective analysis of predictive factors, management and influence on longterm survival in a high volume centre.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005; 27: 3-7
- Management of anastomotic leaks following esophagectomy: when to intervene?.J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11: 131-137
- The impact of severe anastomotic leak on long-term survival and cancer recurrence after surgical resection for esophageal malignancy.Ann Surg. 2015; 262: 972-980
- The impact of complications on outcomes after resection for esophageal and gastroesophageal junction carcinoma.J Am Coll Surg. 2004; 198: 42-50
- Esophagogastrostomy anastomotic leaks complicating esophagectomy: a review.Am J Surg. 1995; 169: 634-640
- Intrathoracic versus cervical anastomosis and predictors of anastomotic leakage after oesophagectomy for cancer.Br J Surg. 2018; 105: 552-560
- Technical factors that affect anastomotic integrity following esophagectomy: systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 4274-4281
- Intrathoracic leaks following esophagectomy are no longer associated with increased mortality.Ann Surg. 2005; 242: 392-402
- Predictors of anastomotic leak after esophagectomy: an analysis of the society of thoracic surgeons general thoracic database.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 96: 1919-1926
- Effect of thoracic versus cervical anastomosis on anastomotic leak among patients who undergo esophagectomy after neoadjuvant chemoradiation.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020; 160: 1088-1095
- Anastomotic leak does not impact on long-term outcomes in esophageal cancer patients.Ann Surg Oncol. 2020; 27: 2414-2424
- Prevalence and outcome of esophagogastric anastomotic leak after esophagectomy in a UK regional cancer network.Dis Esophagus. 2010; 23: 112-116
Published online: November 06, 2021
Accepted: October 1, 2021
Vladimir Tverskov and Ory Wiesel are co-first authors.
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.