We read with interest the nicely designed before–after study from Feizpour et al,
1which focused on the impact of an enhanced recovery pathway (ERP) on liver transplantation (LT). In 3 years, the introduction of a 19 elements–based ERP program was associated with a shorter hospital stay, reduced rate of postoperative complications, and lower median direct cost per case. Despite the recently published recommendations of the ERAS society on LT,
- Feizpour C.A.
- Patel M.S.
- Syed M.A.
- et al.
Enhanced recovery in liver transplantation: a value-based approach to complex surgical care.
Surgery. 2021; 170: 1830-1837
2the introduction of such a multidisciplinary program in the complex care setting of LT is still new and remarkable, and the authors should be commended for their effort.
- Brustia R.
- Monsel A.
- Skurzak S.
- et al.
Guidelines for perioperative care for liver transplantation: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Society recommendations.
Transplantation. 2022; 1: 552-561
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Enhanced recovery in liver transplantation: a value-based approach to complex surgical care.Surgery. 2021; 170: 1830-1837
- Guidelines for perioperative care for liver transplantation: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Society recommendations.Transplantation. 2022; 1: 552-561
- Opportunities and challenges for the next phase of enhanced recovery after surgery: a review.JAMA Surg. 2021; 156: 775-784
- Adherence to the ERAS protocol is associated with 5-year survival after colorectal cancer surgery: a retrospective cohort study.World J Surg. 2016; 40
- The reporting on ERAS compliance, outcomes, and elements research (RECOvER) checklist: a joint statement by the ERAS and ERAS USA societies on behalf of the ERAS Society and ERAS USA.World J Surg. 2019; 43: 1-8
Published online: May 24, 2022
Accepted: April 9, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.