Advertisement

Accidental ingestion of hydrogen peroxide

      A 50-year-old man with no past medical history presented to the emergency department after drinking a quarter of glass of oxygenated water. The ingestion accidently occured at 3 PM. The substance was immediately labeled since the patient mixed up his own bottle of water with detergent containing 12% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) that he used at his place of work. He reported an immediate sensation of burning in the mouth with formation of a bubble with 2 vomiting episodes and epigastric pain. On admission, he was hemodynamically stable. There was no biological repercussion. Clinical examination was subnormal with only a sensible epigastric area. There was no buccal lesion and no difficulty swallowing.
      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment

      Purchase one-time access:

      Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'

      Subscribe:

      Subscribe to Surgery
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect

      References

        • Tocco D.B.
        • Bassett R.A.
        • Fitzgerald J.
        A 5-year-old boy with an acute onset of emesis, and throat and chest pain, after taking a drink.
        Pediatr Emerg Care. 2016; 32: 419-421
        • Asanza G.
        • Menchén P.L.
        • Castellote J.I.
        • et al.
        [Hydrogen peroxide-induced lesions in the digestive tract. 4 cases].
        Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 1995; 87: 465-468
        • Rider S.P.
        • Jackson S.B.
        • Rusyniak D.E.
        Cerebral air gas embolism from concentrated hydrogen peroxide ingestion.
        Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2008; 46: 815-818