The mammalian target of rapamycin inhibition has been shown to prolong progression-free survival in patients with pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. The natural compound baicalein indirectly inhibits the mammalian target of rapamycin, but it is unknown if baicalein exhibits such effects at physiologically achievable concentrations or exhibits synergy.
Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor cell lines were cultured with baicalein, everolimus, and/or a synthetic 5’ adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activating agent alone and in combination. Cell viability assays and immunoblotting were performed. Female severe combined immunodeficient-beige mice were injected with BON-1 cells and treated with baicalein and COH-SR4 solutions via oral gavage. Tumor volumes were compared at 30 days.
Immunoblotting revealed that treatment of baicalein induced 5’ adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activation and the mammalian target of rapamycin inhibition. Treatment with baicalein alone led to a significant decrease in the ratio of viable cells compared with controls at 72 hours at concentrations ≥5 μM (P = .021). The addition of COH-SR4 led to significantly greater effect on cell viability than with baicalein alone (P < .001, P < .001). The combination of baicalein with everolimus resulted in significantly lower cell viability than with everolimus alone (P = .005, P < .001). Tumor volume in vivo was significantly decreased with the combination of baicalein and COH-SR4 compared with controls (P = .003).
Baicalein exhibits antiproliferative effects against pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor cell lines at doses ≥5 μM and demonstrates synergy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trends in the incidence, prevalence, and survival outcomes in patients with neuroendocrine tumors in the United States.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 1335-1342
- A 5-decade analysis of 13,715 carcinoid tumors.Cancer. 2003; 97: 934-959
- Everolimus for advanced pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 514-523
- Identification of a natural compound by cell-based screening that enhances interferon regulatory factor-1 activity and causes tumor suppression.Mol Cancer Ther. 2011; 10: 1774-1783
- Baicalein upregulates DDIT4 expression which mediates mTOR inhibition and growth inhibition in cancer cells.Cancer Lett. 2015; 358: 170-179
- Baicalein induces apoptosis and autophagy of breast cancer cells via inhibiting PI3K/AKT pathway in vivo and vitro.Drug Des Devel Ther. 2018; 12: 3961-3972
- Scutellaria baicalensis and cancer treatment: recent progress and perspectives in biomedical and clinical studies.Am J Chin Med. 2018; 46: 25-54
- Baicalein inhibits cervical cancer progression via downregulating long noncoding RNA BDLNR and its downstream PI3K/Akt pathway.Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2018; 94: 107-118
- Baicalein suppresses growth of non-small cell lung carcinoma by targeting MAP4K3.Biomed Pharmacother. 2021; 133110965
- Baicalein inhibits non-small-cell lung cancer invasion and metastasis by reducing ezrin tension in inflammation microenvironment.Cancer Sci. 2020; 111: 3802-3812
- Anticancer effects of baicalein in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors in vitro and in vivo.Pancreas. 2017; 46: 1076-1081
- Daidzein is a more bioavailable soymilk isoflavone than is genistein in adult women.J Nutr. 1994; 124: 825-832
- Baicalein enhanced cisplatin sensitivity of gastric cancer cells by inducing cell apoptosis and autophagy via Akt/mTOR and Nrf2/Keap 1 pathway.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2020; 531: 320-327
- Baicalein increases cisplatin sensitivity of A549 lung adenocarcinoma cells via PI3K/Akt/NF-κB pathway.Biomed Pharmacother. 2017; 90: 677-685
- Insulin-like growth factor-I is an autocrine regulator of chromogranin A secretion and growth in human neuroendocrine tumor cells.Cancer Res. 2000; 60: 4573-4581
- Anticancer effects of metformin on neuroendocrine tumor cells in vitro.Hormones (Athens). 2014; 13: 498-508
- Small-molecule COH-SR4 inhibits adipocyte differentiation via AMPK activation.Int J Mol Med. 2013; 31: 1166-1176
- SR4 uncouples mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, modulates AMP-dependent Kinase (AMPK)-mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) signaling, and inhibits proliferation of HepG2 hepatocarcinoma cells.J Biol Chem. 2015; 290: 30321-30341
- Whole-exome characterization of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor cell lines BON-1 and QGP-1.J Mol Endocrinol. 2015; 54: 137-147
- Lipoxygenase inhibition induced apoptosis, morphological changes, and carbonic anhydrase expression in human pancreatic cancer cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999; 266: 392-399
- Baicalein overcomes tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand resistance via two different cell-specific pathways in cancer cells but not in normal cells.Cancer Res. 2008; 68: 8918-8927
- New therapeutic aspects of flavones: the anticancer properties of Scutellaria and its main active constituents Wogonin, Baicalein and Baicalin.Cancer Treat Rev. 2009; 35: 57-68
- Remarkable synergies between baicalein and tetracycline, and baicalein and beta-lactams against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Microbiol Immunol. 2005; 49: 391-396
- A single arm phase II study of a Far-Eastern traditional herbal formulation (sho-sai-ko-to or xiao-chai-hu-tang) in chronic hepatitis C patients.J Ethnopharmacol. 2011; 136: 83-87
Published online: October 04, 2022
Accepted: July 11, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.