Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Grit: perseverance and passion for long-term goals.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2007; 92: 1087-1101
Merriam-Webster. Resilience. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resilience. Accessed 15 May 2022.
- Development and validation of the short grit scale (Grit-S).J Pers Assess. 2009; 91: 166-174
- Unpacking grit: Motivational correlates of perseverance and passion for long-term goals.J Posit Psychol. 2014; 9: 306-312
- Grit: a marker of residents at risk for attrition?.Surgery. 2014; 155: 1014-1022
- Is grit the new fit? Assessing non-cognitive variables in orthopedic surgery trainees.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 924-930
- The impact of medical student burnout on surgery clerkship performance.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 1241-1247
- Survival of the grittiest? Consultant surgeons are significantly grittier than their junior trainees.J Surg Educ. 2016; 73: 730-734
- Personality testing may identify applicants who will become successful in general surgery residency.J Surg Res. 2019; 233: 240-248
- National evaluation of surgical resident grit and the association with wellness outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2021; 156: 856-863
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perserverance.Scribner, New York, NY2016
- Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separated World-Class Performers From Everybody Else.Penguin, New York, NY2008
- Sabbatical.https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1961/11/18/sabbatical-2; 1961Date accessed: May 15, 2022
- Start With Why.Portfiolio/Penguin, New York, NY2009
- GB wheelchair basketballer Sophie Carrigill on her Paralympic ambition in Tokyo. The BBC.https://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/53543013; 2020Date accessed: May 25, 2022
- What are the common themes of physician resilience? A meta-synthesis of qualitative studies.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19
- Building resilience in the face of adversity: the STRONG surgeon.ANZ J Surg. 2020; 90: 1766-1768
- Man is fashioned, not born: the contributions of George J. Heuer to surgical education.J Surg Educ. 2012; 69: 261-266
- Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies.HarperBusiness, New York, NY1994
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
This paper was presented as the CSA presidential address at the 79th annual meeting of the Central Surgical Association, June 3, 2022, Milwaukee, WI.