This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In 6,050 necropsies performed on persons over one year of age, there were 40 primary carcinomas of the biliary system. Of these, 23 were primary in the liver (16 liver cell and 7 cylindrical cell carcinomas); 6 were primary in the extrahepatic biliary ducts (all cylindrical cell carcinomas); 11 occurred primarily in the gallbladder (all cylindrical cell carcinomas).
Eight of the patients died in the fifth, 11 in the sixth, and 14 in the seventh decade of life. The youngest patient was thirteen years of age and the oldest was seventy-seven years of age.
In many instances, in addition to local infiltration or spread by lymph and blood channels, metastases occurred in regional lymph nodes or distant organs.
Practically all of the patients with primary liver growths had cirrhosis of the liver with ascites.
Most of the patients with primary growths in the extrahepatic biliary ducts and the gallbladder had cholelithiasis.
With few exceptions all of the patients were jaundiced.
The average duration of illness was four and one-half months.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary Carcinoma of the Liver.Am. J. M. Sc. 1903; 126: 403-417
- Some Observations on Primary Carcinoma of the Liver.Guy's Hosp. Rep. 1909; 48: 225-244
- Der primäre Leberkrebs.Virchows Arch. f. path. Anat. 1911; 203: 75-131
- Zur Kenntnis des primären parenchymatösen Leberkarcinoms (“Hepatoma”).Virchows Arch. f. path. Anat. 1911; 206: 437-467
- A Clinicopathological Study of Primary Carcinoma of the Liver.Arch. Int. Med. 1911; 8: 238-261
- Primary Carcinoma of the Liver.Johns Hopkins Hosp. Rep. 1916; 17: 143-184
- Primary Carcinoma of the Liver.Am. J. M. Sc. 1924; 168: 241-267
- A Multinucleated Liver Cell Carcinoma.Am. J. Path. 1925; 1: 677-680
- Primary Carcinoma of the Liver.Arch. Int. Med. 1926; 37: 363-387
- Primary Carcinoma of the Liver.Arch. Int. Med. 1930; 46: 105-120
- Primary Carcinoma of the Liver: A Study of One Hundred and Thirty-Four Cases.J. Path. & Bact. 1932; 35: 557-562
- Primary Tumors of the Liver.Am. J. Clin. Path. 1933; 3: 221-235
Received: December 30, 1937
© 1938 Published by Elsevier Inc.