This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Thirty-one cases of congenital and developmental coxa vara are presented. The various etiological theories are presented and the most logical one is an embryonic vascular disturbance that upsets the ossification of the femoral neck.
The signs of coxa vara predominate over its symptoms. It is a deformity that tends to progression with weight-bearing. Therefore, as soon as the diagnosis is made, an effort should be made to restore the normal angulation of the femoral head and neck with the shaft of the femur. This is best done by a subtrochanteric osteotomy. This we believe is the conservative form of treatment in spite of a surgical procedure.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Infantile or Cervical Coxa Vara, The Robert Jones Birthday Volume. A Collection of Surgical Essays.in: Oxford University Press, New York1928: 225
- Slipping of the Capital Epiphysis of the Femur in Adolescence.Arch. Surg. 1935; 31: 356
- Congenital Coxa Vara.Deutsche med. Wchnschr. 1905; 31: 1257
- Lancet. 1907; 1 (Quoted by Elmslie): 413
- Coxa Vara, Its Pathology and Treatment.Henry Frowde, London1913
- Coxa Vara Congenita.Arch. di orthop. 1913; 30: 382
- Contribution to the Knowledge of Congenitay Coxa Vara.Acta. radiol. 1924; 3: 383
- Acta. radiol. 1924; 3 (In discussion of Nilsonne's paper): 383
- Congenital Coxa Vara.Arch. Surg. 1929; 18: 1909
- Congenital Coxa Vara.Arch. Surg. 1935; 30: 62
- Theory and Differential Diagnosis of Congenital Coxa Vara.Ztschr. f. orthop. Chir. 1899; 7: 365
- Coxa Vara Congenita.Zentralbl. f. chir. 1896; 23: 969
- Relation of Congenital Coxa Vara to Congenital Defect of Femur.Ztschr. f. orthop. Chir. 1903; 12: 297
Bohm, M.: Quoted by Nilsonne and Fairbanks.
- Coxa Vara: An Analysis of the Material From Hoffa's Private Clinic.Ztschr. f. orthop. Chir. 1906; 15: 502
- Coxa Vara.Arch. Surg. 1926; 12: 501
- Congenital Coxa Vara Occurring in Identical Twins.Am. J. Surg. 1937; 37: 112-115
Received: January 28, 1938
© 1938 Published by Elsevier Inc.