This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In an attempt to simulate the conditions which exist after an acute abdominal catastrophe such as the rupture of a peptic ulcer, the rupture of an acutely inflamed appendix, or the rupture of a section of gangrenous bowel, the above series of experiments were performed. In addition to the severe systemic reaction produced on the animals by these procedures, there was a notable tendency for the leucocyte count in the peripheral blood to fall. It seems reasonable to assume that such a drop in the leucocyte count may occur under similar circumstances in man, and that it has not been previously detected except in isolated cases is probably due to the fact that blood studies were not made at the appropriate times. If such a fall in the leucocytes does occur in man it may explain some of the unexpectedly low leucocyte counts which are not infrequently found.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Proc. Roy. Soc., London. 55. 1894: 295 (Quoted by Doan, Zerfas, Warren, and Ames2) ed. 2.
- J. Exper. Med. 1928; 47: 403
- N. York M. J. 1895; 61 (Quoted by Wells17): 257
- Ztschr. f. klin. Med. 1894; 25 (Quoted by Wells, C. W.17): 373
- Berl. klin. Wchnschr. 1921; 1 (Quoted by Doan, Zerfas, Warren, and Ames2): 84
- Am. J. Surg. 1941; 54: 417
- Am. J. Physiol. 1931; 98: 610
- Surgery. 1941; 10: 250
- J. A. M. A. 1925; 84: 1020
Löwit, M.: Jena, 1892: Quoted by Doan, Zerfas, Warren, and Ames.2
- Am. J. M. Sc. 1942; 203: 1
- System of Medicine.D. Appleton Company, New York1912
- Deutsche Med. Wchnschr. 1925; 51 (Quoted by Doan, Zerfas, Warren, and Ames2): 516
- Deutsches Arch. f. klin. Med. 1892; 51 (Quoted by Doan, Zerfas, Warren, and Ames2): 234
- Univ. Penn. M. Bull. 1904; 17 (Quoted by Wells, C. W.17): 22
- J. Path. & Bact. 1924; 27 (Quoted by Doan, Zerfas, Warren, and Ames2): 79
- J. Infect. Dis. 1917; 20: 219
- Med. News. 1896; 69 (Quoted by Doan, Zerfas, Warren, and Ames2): 425
Wyssocowitsch: Quoted by Wells C. W.17
Received: March 31, 1942
© 1943 Published by Elsevier Inc.