This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
- 1.1. A series of twenty cases of megacolon with spasm of the rectosigmoid in children in reported.
- 2.2. A method of resection of the rectum and rectosigmoid, with preservation of the sphincter, is described. This method was evaluated in a series of fifteen dogs. Results showed (a) infection in but one case, (b) good sphincter control in all, and (c) no postoperative strictures.
- 3.3. The operation has been successfully used on three children.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Treatment of Megacolon With Acetylbetamethylcholin Bromide.Am. J. Dis. Child. 1940; 60: 262
- Zur Exstirpation Lochsitzenden mastdarmkrebse.Verhandl. d. deutsch. Gesellsch. f. Chir. 1885; 14: 464
- Beträge zur Chirurgie der Rectum und der Beckenorgand.Wien. klin. Wchnschr. 1889; 2: 515
- A New Method of Excising the Two Upper Portions of the Rectum and the Lower Segment of the Sigmoid Flexure of the Colon.Lancet. 1892; 2: 473
- An Improved Method of Treating High-Seated Cancer of the Rectum.J. A. M. A. 1901; 37: 801
- Über die Entstchung und Vermeidung des lokalen Rectum-Carcinom-Residin.Arch. f. klin. Chir. 1930; 161: 582
- Regional Lymphatic Metastases of Carcinoma of the Rectum.Surgery. 1940; 8: 294
- The Operative Treatment of Carcinoma of the Rectosigmoid With Methods for the Elimination of Colostomy.Surg., Gynec. & Obst. 1932; 55: 627
- Evolution of Sphincter Muscle Preservation and Re-establishment of Continuity in the Operative Treatment of Rectal and Sigmoidal Cancer.Surg., Gynec. & Obst. 1945; 81: 113-127
- Primary Resection (Closed Anastomosis) of the Colon and Rectosigmoid.Surgery. 1943; 14: 403
- Technic and Results of Primary and Secondary Pull-Through Operation After Removal of Tumors of Rectum and Rectosigmoid.Surgery. 1945; 18: 318
☆Read at the meeting of the Society of University Surgeons, New Orleans, La., Jan. 29–31, 1948.
© 1948 Published by Elsevier Inc.