This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The results obtained in the surgical treatment of forty-three patients with pulmonary stenosis are reported. Six patients died, five during operation or in the immediate postoperative period, and one six weeks after discharge from the hospital. The causes of death are discussed. An anastomosis was made between the innominate artery and a pulmonary artery in three instances and between a subclavian artery and a pulmonary artery in thirty-seven instances. No improvement was observed in four patients following operation, due to the formation of thrombi at or adjacent to the vascular anastomosis. The most frequent postoperative complications were (1) pleural effusion, (2) chylothorax, and (3) brain damage from relative anoxemia. The method of approach and choice of the systemic vessel to be used for the anastomosis are discussed. In our opinion, most cases are best treated by making an anastomosis between the left subclavian artery and the left pulmonary artery. Certain aspects of operative technique and anesthesia are discussed. Experience with one patient having the Eisenmenger complex is related.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Surgical Treatment of Malformations of the Heart in Which There Is Pulmonary Stenosis or Pulmonary Atresia.J. A. M. A. 1945; 128: 189-202
- Physiopathology and Surgical Treatment of Congenital Cardiovascular Defects; Harvey Lecture.Bull. New York Acad. Med. 1946; 22: 57-80
- Surgical Treatment of Congenital Pulmonic Stenosis.Ann. Surg. 1946; 124: 879-887
- Oxygenation Studies in Congenital Pulmonary Stenosis.Am. Heart J. 1948; 35: 940-947
- Pentothal Curare Mixture.Anesthesiology. 1947; 8: 75-79
© 1948 Published by Elsevier Inc.