This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
- 1.1. The rationale for pulmonary decortication in the treatment of selected cases of early pyogenic empyema is presented.
- 2.2. The pathology of empyema is reviewed, and the rationale based thereon.
- 3.3. The indications for primary and secondary decortication, and the optimum time for their performance, are given.
- 4.4. Five patients so treated are reported upon.
- 5.5. In two cases with treatment by primary decortication, prompt cure of the empyema followed.
- 6.6. In three cases with treatment by secondary decortication, marked improvement followed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Early Pulmonary Decortication in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Empyema.Ann. Surg. 1945; 122: 163
Parker, E. F., and Burford, T. H.: Hemothorax Complicating Intrathoracic Wounds in War. The Medical Department of the United States Army in World War II. (To be published.)
Burford, T. H., and Parker, E. F.: Intrathoracic Wounds. The Medical Department of the United States Army in World War II. (To be published).
- Nouveau traitement des empyemes chroniques.Gaz. d. hôp. 1894; 67: 94
- A Case of Thoracoplasty for the Removal of a Large Cicatricial Fibrous Growth From the Interior of the Chest, the Result of Old Empyema.M. Rec. 1893; 44: 838
- Surgical Disease of the Chest.Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1935
- Surgery of Modern Warfare. Vol. II. Williams & Wilkins Company, Baltimore1944 Ed. 3.
- Coughlin W.T. Rose and Carless Manual of Surgery. American sixeenth edition. Williams & Wilkins Company, Baltimore1943
- Operative Surgery. Vol. I. The C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1940 Ed. 5.
- Surgery.Ed. 4. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1931
- A Textbook of Surgery. Charles C Thomas Publisher, Baltimore1940 Ed. 5.
- Modern Surgery.Ed. 10. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1933 (c. 1931)
- Textbook of General Surgery. D. Appleton-Century Company, Inc.,, New York1944 Ed. 4.
- Principles and Practice of Surgery.Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1944
- A Textbook of Surgery. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1945 Ed. 4.
- Operative Surgery. Vol. III. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1924 Ed. 4.
- Ed. 4. Lewis' Practice of Surgery. Vol. IV. W.F. Prior Company, Inc.,, Hagerstown, Md.,1944 (c. 1943)
- Operations of General Surgery.W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1944
- Empyema—Exploration of the Thorax With Primary Mobilization of the Lung.Ann. Surg. 1915; 62: 309
- Essentials of Pathology.D. Appleton-Century Company, Inc.,, New York1942
- Human Pathology.Ed. 4. J. B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia1942
- A Text-Book of Pathology. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1943 Ed. 4.
- Reaction to Injury.Williams & Wilkins Company, Baltimore1943
- Surgical Pathology.Ed. 5. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1944 (c. 1942)
- A Textbook of Pathology. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1940 Ed. 5.
- A Text-Book of Pathology. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1944 Ed. 5.
- Pathology.Ed. 2. J. & A. Churchill, Ltd.,, London1945
- A Textbook of Pathology. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1944 12th Revision.
- Causative Factors and Treatment of Chronic Empyema.J. A. M. A. 1923; 81: 999
- Stone Fundamental Considerations in the Treatment of Empyema Thoracis.The C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis1925
© 1948 Published by Elsevier Inc.