Pancreatic adenocarcinoma has a very poor prognosis resulting in part from the frequency of micrometastases not detectable by conventional imaging at the time of diagnosis or treatment. The activation of the K-ras oncogene by the point mutation at codon 12, found in more than 75% of cases of advanced ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas, has been used by Hayashi et al
1to detect micrometastases in lymph nodes histologically negative for metastasis. We here report a patient with pancreatic adenocarcinoma exhibiting a solitary liver metastasis macroscopically in whom K-ras gene mutation was also detected in other portions of the liver that were thought to be free of cancer.
- Hayashi N
- Arakawa H
- Nagase H
- Yanagisawa A
- Kato Y
- Ohta H
- et al.
Genetic diagnosis identifies occult lymph node metastases undetectable by the histopathological method.
Cancer Res. 1994; 54: 3853-3856
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Genetic diagnosis identifies occult lymph node metastases undetectable by the histopathological method.Cancer Res. 1994; 54: 3853-3856
- K-ras and p53 alterations in genomic DNA and transcripts of human pancreatic adenocarcinoma cell lines.Jpn J Cancer Res. 1994; 85: 1005-1014
- Detection of hepatic micrometastasis in pancreatic adenocarcinoma patients by two-stage polymerase chain reaction/restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis.Jpn J Cancer Res. 1995; 86: 626-630
- Liver perfusion chemotherapy via both the hepatic artery and portal vein to prevent hepatic metastasis after extended pancreatectomy for adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.Am J Surg. 1994; 168: 361-364
- Inhibition of hepatic metastasis of colon carcinoma by asialo GM1-positive cells in the liver.Hepatology. 1992; 16: 469-478
Accepted: April 1, 1998
☆☆Reprint requests: Hirofumi Suwa, MD, PhD, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Shogoin-Kawara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606, Japan.
© 1999 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.